We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative 5 day Maine Coast Itinerary - advice appreciated!!

New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tentative 5 day Maine Coast Itinerary - advice appreciated!!

Hi,

I’m planning a last minute 5 day trip mid-August to the Maine Coast with my husband and want to iron out a basic itinerary. We’re looking to see beautiful scenery, lighthouses, bridges, moderate outdoor activities, and maybe a taste of culture, architecture, and science. We plan to bring food from home (dietary restrictions), could care less about shopping, but would love to go out a night or two to hear live music. We’ve been to Portsmouth/York area before so we’d like to see more up North. Does the basic itinerary below sound good? Any suggestions/modifications would be appreciated!

Sunday – Leave NY in AM, stop at beach on way to relax, depending on timing – maybe Wells, Kennebunkport, or Scarborough. Check into hotel in Portland, night out in town

Monday –Drive up Mid-coast to Bar Harbor. Would love go kayaking (best spot?) and visit a scenic town to walk around (Camden?), Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory, Monday night, stay in Bar Habor

Tuesday – Hiking Acadia/Desert Island, stay in Bar Harbor for second night

Wednesday – Hike Acadia/Schoodic Peninsula, stay around Machias

Thursday – Head out to Campobello Island, whale watching tour, East Quoddy lighthouse, back to Machias at night

Friday – Drive to Boston where we’ll spend the weekend with friends before heading back to NY on Sunday. No ideas about where to stop along way….

Thanks!!

Maine
Level Contributor
405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tentative 5 day Maine Coast Itinerary - advice appreciated!!

We like Local188 for an evening in Portland.

Also the aquarium in Bar Harbor has a unique lobster room/ exhibit that we thought was very good if you're interested (since you mention science). Camden is a reasonable choice for quaint town to walk around. My favorite scenic drive is through the Blue Hill Peninsula to Stonington.

The itinerary sounds good to me.

New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tentative 5 day Maine Coast Itinerary - advice appreciated!!

Great, thanks so much for your feedback!

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tentative 5 day Maine Coast Itinerary - advice appreciated!!

Hi Lorbie99

You've got an ambitious plan there to see the whole coast! Here a few suggestions based on what I personally enjoy in line with your comments:

Ogunquit Beach is magnificent - miles of white sand. I'd stop there on Sunday for the afternoon and consider staying the evening too for music entertainment - the piano bar upstairs in The Front Porch Piano Bar and Restaurant - right in the center of town. It's a blast - especially on Fri and Sat nights.

Portland - if you do stay here - consider taking the ferry out to the islands of Casco Bay - several boats to choose from and it's a wonderful summer ride. It's right down in Old Port where all the great shops and eateries are.

Mid coast - I love Boothbay Harbor - it's very scenic, great for walking around, good restaurants - and now has a wonderful botanical garden. Kayaking would be good around Boothbay too. Figure 2-3 hour drive from OGT depending on traffic.

Machias - just got back from staying there with family. There are basically 2 restaurants in town and both will serve you well. The pie at Helen's is to die for!

There are numbers of scenic fishing villages along the way - one we discovered last week is Beal's Island - across the bridge from Jonesport .

Have a wonderful trip!

New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tentative 5 day Maine Coast Itinerary - advice appreciated!!

Thanks Mojitoland, for the solid tips! I do tend to over-schedule our vacations a bit…

We were fortunate to visit Ogunquit Beach a few years ago. It was beautiful, but I love getting to see new places. Are there any other beaches you’d recommend, possibly a bit further North?

Thanks for the Boothbay recommendation; I had not considered that area. We decided to stay in Rockland our second night, so we can certainly spend time there on Monday during the day.

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tentative 5 day Maine Coast Itinerary - advice appreciated!!

Yes there are other nice spots too - not as long and spacious as OGT but very pretty - like Biddeford Pool just south of Portland. I'm not as familiar with the midcoast area beaches but I do know there's scenic Small Point in the Bath/Brunswick area, In the Acadia Nat'l Park there's Sandy Beach - not large but unusual to find a beautiful sand beach in that region. In the Machias area last week we discovered Roque Point state park - another lovely beach. If you do go there please remember that the main road suddenly dead ends in a boat ramp and there are no warnings.

I'd suggest a stop at the Maine information center for more specific ideas too - it's right in Kittery as you enter the state.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tentative 5 day Maine Coast Itinerary - advice appreciated!!

Not to be picky, but it is Sand Beach in Acadia National Park and the state park name is Roque Bluffs.

7. Re: Tentative 5 day Maine Coast Itinerary - advice appreciated!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 August 2013, 04:05
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tentative 5 day Maine Coast Itinerary - advice appreciated!!

North of Ogunquit's beaches is the great expanse of beach that runs from Camp Ellis to Scarborough and encompasses Old Orchard Beach.

More towards the midcoast are Reid State Park and Popham Beach.

9. Re: Tentative 5 day Maine Coast Itinerary - advice appreciated!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 05:17