We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions please

Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
123 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions please

Our itinerary is pretty much set in stone. What I would like are suggestions of things to do, restaurants and experiences given that we are seniors with a somewhat limited budget. We will spend:

2 nights in Booth bay Harbor

1 night in Belfast

3 nights in Lubec

3 nights in Bar Harbor

2 nights in Camden

2 nights in Portland.

Maybe a schooner ride in Booth bay and/or Camden

Botanical Gardens in Booth bay

FDR summer home while in Lubec

Would love to find some Maine products (pottery, quilts, caps etc), good local food, etc. Thinking about the mail boat route in Portland. Worried about parking in Portland on a Sunday afternoon. All suggestions appreciated. Hopefully there will be suggestions for take out etc. I do plan on eating Lobster, clams, chowders, tomatoes, anything blueberry etc

Maine
Level Contributor
407 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions please

Camden is about 45 minutes from the capital Augusta, and the location of the Maine State Museum which is very inexpensive and informative about the state.

For inexpensive lobster many grocery stores will cook it for you for no extra charge for 'take out.' There are many beautiful parks to make your own 'lobsterfest.'

Also the art museum at Colby College is the largest art museum in Maine and "one of the nation's premier institutions of American Art." It is free to the public and in Waterville, next to Augusta, about an hour from Camden.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions please

Boothbay Harbor -- To-do: Besides the Botanical Garden (great choice!!), take the ride out Rt 96 through East Boothbay to Ocean Point (literally the end of the road -- it makes a loop) -- great views of waves and rocks and a fantastic place to watch the sunset. Our favorite local place for reasonably-priced seafood in town is a very casual place called Kaler's.

Lots of other folks on this forum know Bar Harbor, Lubec and Belfast better than I do, so won't make suggestions...

In Camden, we love to just go down to the harbor, sit on a bench and watch the activities.... and, since you mention it, check out the options for getting out on the water in some fashion. We also like the view of the harbor from the lawn of Camden Public Library. Our favorite "reasonable" places to eat are Marriner's, Cappy's Chowder House and (for a bit of something different, but very, very good) Bounton-McKay. All three are on Main Street in the heart of downtown Camden.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions please

Good to see you plan a ferw nights in Lubec. IMO it's the best place to experience Maine coastal life.

My suggestions:

- Head over to Eastport. About 45 minutes or so by car. Very nice town. The docks there are great because they are on floats that really showcase the tides. Check out Raye's Mustard to see if they are grinding while you are there. - http://www.rayesmustard.com/

-West Quoddy Lighthouse is beautiful. You park within walking distance to it and there are hiking trails you can follow. The ones leading to the beach are steep at points.

- East Quoddy Head on Campabello Island is a must see. Near FDR's home. Make sure you have passport as EQH and FDR's home are in Canada.

- Bayside Chocolate is delicious! http://www.baysidechocolates.com/

- There is a lobster pound in Lubec. If you ask nicely, they sometimes let tourists into the holding area at the back of the building to see how it's run. It's right off Water Street but I can't remember the name.

- Depending on where you are staying, thy might be able to reccommend someone with a boat to take you out for a spin. My folks stayed at the now gone (but still loved) One Room Inn and were treated by a ride from the owner.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 17:20
Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
123 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions please

Thanks for the suggestions - just what I was looking for. I get more excited each day.

Maine
Level Contributor
407 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions please

A lobster boat cruise is also fun. We did Lucky Catch cruises in Portland, but there are others. At the end of the cruise you can buy a lobster that you just helped catch and take it to the restaurant right on the pier you dock at and they will cook it for you to eat right there. It's very kid friendly in that the kids I think usually get their hands on the traps, etc, but it's interesting, fun, and a nice little cruise.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions please

We like the Ice Cream Factory on the pier in Boothbay. Also The Lobster Dock and the pub at the Thistle Inn. In Camden there's a pub where they'll cook your lobsters for you if you buy them elsewhere, sorry I can't remember the name. In Portland, have lunch at David's in the Old Port, always excellent and affordable.

Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
123 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestions please

Thank you all for your suggestions. We are flying north Aug 27 and I am compiling my lists of must dos and must eats.

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestions please

Suggestions for eating/gifts :

Raye's Mustard from Eastport,

Helen's restaurant homemade pies in Machias

Moody's Diner in Waldoboro

Maine Diner in Wells and Congdon's donuts nearby

Sea Dog Blueberry Ale from Portland and available throughout the state, Also Bar Harbor makes a blueberry ale but my taste goes to Sea Dog.

Amato's Italian sandwiches - around Portland and southern Maine

Goldenrod candy kisses (saltwater taffy in York Beach)

Stonewall Farm preserves and relishes etc in York - right at the turnpike entrance

Have a wonderful trip!!

9. Re: suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 07:18