We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for suggestions for 3 night, 4 day trip

NYC
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for suggestions for 3 night, 4 day trip

My wife and I are looking to travel to Maine from NYC for a short getaway in October (3 nights). Neither of us have been to Maine before. Thinking that we would fly into Portland since the prices are much cheaper out of NYC but willing to drive and branch out from there. Does anyone have suggestions of where to go, what to see, etc for this type of trip? Looking for something active (hikes, drive, etc), but to stay somewhere nice.

We have always wanted to see Acadia National Park. Is this feasible in a short period of time? Any suggestions are welcome! thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
872 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for suggestions for 3 night, 4 day trip

You could either fly into Bangor or Portland and drive down to Bar Harbor - gateway town to Acadia National Park. Late September/ Early October will be peak Fall color time in Acadia, so book your accommodations early.

Acadia has a 27 Mile park loop road that you could drive and there are also many hiking trails in the park.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,653 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for suggestions for 3 night, 4 day trip

I think Acadia would be very feasible in this time frame. It's just a three hour drive from Portland to Acadia. Take I-95 up to Bangor. Then I-395 and 1A to Ellsworth and 3 to Mount Desert Island. Two full days in Acadia will give you a great taste of the Maine coast. Lots to do from easy to hard hikes, kayaking, bicycling on the carriage roads.

3. Re: Looking for suggestions for 3 night, 4 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 06:23