We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good news on the NS - Maine Ferry!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
276 reviews
Save Topic
Good news on the NS - Maine Ferry!

…ctvnews.ca/n-s-gov-t-says-yarmouth-ferry-se…

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,590 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good news on the NS - Maine Ferry!

I heard a rumor that the ferry from Portland to Yarmouth will be very expensive, like $1000 for a car and passengers. That's a lot of money, even if it includes an overnight and meals. Any truth to this rumor? Does anyone know?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good news on the NS - Maine Ferry!

I don't think they have said anything regarding fares, etc yet. Certainly hasn't been anything here in the media. Will certainly keep watching for updates and will keep everyone posted.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good news on the NS - Maine Ferry!

Thanks for the update from north of the border, K.C. -- will be nice to see ferry service resume.... we still have fond memories of a honeymoon cruise on The Bolero " (or maybe the "Scotia Prince" -- it's been so long I can't remember which) back in the day."

Bonniemaev -- I haven't seen any specific fare figures yet, and have tried to follow the issue fairly closely. I think maybe, and it's just a guess on my part, that the $1,000 figure may have come from an "Experts" study published, I believe, by the government of Nova Scotia, which analyzed a wide variety of issues Part of the economic analysis included comparitive cost estimates for a two-person trip from Boston to Halifax using either a fly-drive combination, a drive-all-the-way option, or a drive-to-Portland-ferry-to-Yarmouth-drive-to-Halifax option -- all three also included a return trip via the same transportation option. That analysis suggested a total round-trip cost from Boston to Halifax and return somewhere in the $1,000/per couple range, including passenger tickets, car fare, an overnight cabin, and meals on board the ferry. That same analysis showed three possible ferry fare scenarios (low-moderate-high), with the moderate model, including two passenger fares, car fare, an overnight cabin, and on-board meals at roughly $500.00.,,, but all costs were just estimates,,,,, so I wouldn't start planning a 2014 ferry trip based on those numbers just yet. The statement has also been made in a number of places that the emphasis on the restored service will be on the "on-board experience" (similar to cruise ships) rather than on just a means of transportation from Portland to Yarmouth, which many folks considered "The Cat" to be... Amenities suggested in that terminology will likely carry some level of incrased costs, but, so far as I know, nobody has released final figures yet.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good news on the NS - Maine Ferry!

The latest info in the paper: the ferry will run from May to October. It will depart Yarmouth in the morning, arriving in Portland at 5. It will depart Portland at 8 pm for an overnight trip. The ferry will be larger than the Scotia Prince that used to run the same route. No indication of fares yet. My husband was in Yarmouth yesterday and they are already preparing and sprucing up the terminal. Lots of excitement in a town that has suffered greatly from the ferry's demise.

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good news on the NS - Maine Ferry!

Just curious, what is the time difference, driving vs ferry?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good news on the NS - Maine Ferry!

Well, if you were to drive from Portland Maine, to Yarmouth Nova Scotia, you would be looking at approx 12 hours of drive time, not taking into account stops for gas, meals, etc.

What is nice about the Portland departure is that it is a night sailing, so you would arrive in Nova Scotia fresh and ready to go explore our lovely province.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good news on the NS - Maine Ferry!

Bushwacker -- Rough time estimates --

Driving:

Portland-Yarmouth (including ferry between St John, New Brunswick & Digby, Nova Scotia: approx 10 hrs

Portland-Yarmouth not using St John-Digby ferry; driving via Moncton NB & Amherst NS approx 12 hrs

Proposed Ferry (based on one trip each way every day) Sailing time of 10 1/2 hrs or less

The concept is to have one trip per day between Yarmouth and Portland and a return trip from Portland to Yarmouth in time for another Yarmough-Portland-run the next day. In order to fit that into a 24-hour period, they'll need to figure no more than 12 hours total for each leg of the trip -- including loading, unloading, and other associated work, so I'd figure a "passenger time" of 11 1/2 - 12 hrs minimum *you'll need to be there ahead of time for driving your car on board and not everyone will be "the first car off" when you get to Yarmouth.

Besides the overnight feature KC points out above, the proposed ferry is intended to offer an "on-board cruise experience" including sleeping cabins, high-end restaurants, nice lounges etc....so that "experience" would also have to be factored into the equation.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 02:54
8. Re: Good news on the NS - Maine Ferry!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 05:19