We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine in January

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Maine in January

Hi Everyone,

I would like to ask about if it is worthwhile going on a trip to Maine in January? I know the weather can be quite cold and subject to possible snow storms but the snow can render the landscape beautiful and ideal for photography.

I want to go away next January and thought Maine in winter might be something different. I would fly in and out of Boston and probably rent a car for a week. Can anyone suggest places to visit in that timescale? And what about lobster in that season?

Thanks in advance.

David

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
921 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maine in January

We go to the coast of Maine every winter, usually in January or Feb, for a 2-3 day weekend. We typically go no farther north than Portland. We've been there when it's been mild and we've been there during snowstorms. It's stunningly beautiful that time of year. It's cold, especially if you're by the water and you've got a wind blowing. But as long as you are dressed properly you'll be ok. During one snowstorm a few years ago I was walking along York Beach and I know a few folks driving by thought I was insane. The places we typically visit in the winter are: York Harbor, York Beach, Ogunquit, Wells Beach, Cape Elizabeth, Crescent Beach, Kettle Cove State Park, Portland and their waterfront. We usually drive the coastal roads from Salisbury Beach, MA, thru New Hampshire (the shore is also beautiful) , up into Maine and continue along the shore all the way to Portland. There is no traffic that time of year and it's wonderful to just explore. Our goal, with more time, is to get up to Bar Harbor and Acadia in the winter. Can't speak to lobster in the winter; we usually eat a lot of chowder!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maine in January

January can be beautiful up here in Acadia also. Although one cannot travel the entire Loop Road through Acadia, the most scenic few miles of the Park Loop Road are kept open all year. You can drive to Sand Beach and Thunder Hole. One lane of the road and some of the car parks are kept plowed. Sometimes we have snow cover. Often we do not. Sometimes we have icy conditions, but usually not. There is easy hiking and cross country skiing access to the Park. Cadillac Mountain Sports rents snow shoes and skis. I've walked the closed auto road to the top of Cadillac three times in the winter. It's awesome. You have it all to yourself.

There are a few restaurants and a few lodging places that stay open in Bar Harbor in January but not many. Aysgarth Station is a small Bed and Breakfast (run by a woman born in Yorkshire!) on a side street in Bar Harbor. Jane and Steve will be able to tell you what restaurants are open, how to get into the winter access to the Park, where it's safe to hike, the best photography, etc.

Acadia is well worth a January visit.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maine in January

You are totally correct about photo ops in Maine in the winter -- deep blue skies, white snow, evergreen trees or stark branches, great shadows..... unless, of course, it's snowing... and then there are a whole new set of opportunities.... With a week to spend, I'd do a couple of days in Portland, using one for a loop to southern Maine (Kennebunkport, Ogunquit, and, yes, York Beach and The Nubble Lighthouse, and the other closer to Portland (Portland Head Light lighthouse, Back Cove, maybe an island ferryboat ride (if the weather is suitable), Gilsland Farm (Maine Audubon Society) in Falmouth; a day from Portland to Bar Harbor; a day (or two) in Bar Harbor; and maybe a day or two somewhere inland where there tends to be more (and deeper) snow -- places like Farmington, Rangeley or Bethel come to mind as "base" locations for photo day trips.

Just watch the weather forecasts and don't be afraid to head back to Boston earlier than you'd planned if it looks like a major storm is on the way..... often Boston's weather is just different enough than Maine's that flights can operate out of Logan while Maine is still getting heavy snow.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maine in January

Thank you all for your suggestions! There is a lot to decide when planning the itinerary!

Findlay, Ohio
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maine in January

Hi ! Even We (m husband and I) are gonna be in Maine in Jan. Will be visiting Acadia, Greenville and Portland. Hope to capture the beauty of winter :)

6. Re: Maine in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:16