We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secluded cabin.

Amsterdam, The...
5 posts
Save Topic
Secluded cabin.

I'm looking for a secluded cabin (for two persons) to rent for a week in August. As remote as possible while still being reachable by car. Preferably near a body of water.

A google search gave me just two or three options that weren't ideal.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edited: 01 November 2013, 07:23
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,953 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secluded cabin.

This would be nice:

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p108396

You can't get much more secluded than the only house on an island. It's an island that doesn't even have a ferry or a mail boat going to it. You might see a whale watch boat go past during the week. But that's about it.

Amsterdam, The...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Secluded cabin.

Oh, wow, thanks, that looks great!

But not really what I was looking for. I want to do a lot of hiking, and that island is a bit small. I'll keep it in mind for some other time though!

These two are very close to what I am looking for, but I am still hoping to find something even more remote:

http://mainelakecabin.tripod.com/

vacationhomerentals.com/vacation-rentals/And…

Amsterdam, The...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Secluded cabin.

I noticed in my search that many advertise their cabin with the terms "luxury", "hunting" and "ATV".

So let me just add that I am not looking for luxury - I don't need electricity or running water.

And since I want a quiet hiking vacation, I obviously don't want to be in an area where people are shooting rifles and driving noisy vehicles. Luckily most of August seems to be outside of hunting season.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secluded cabin.

I can not speak to those two cabins in particular, but you have chosen two of my husband's favorite "get away from it all" areas of Maine. If you don't want to be near ATV trails, contact the Beddington owner directly, as one popular activity in that area is riding the trails. It sounds like that cabin is away from them, but it would be best to check. The Airline Diner is exactly as advertised. Andover is another "off the beaten path" location, but I would ask the same question of the owners.

As to shooting off guns of any type, being outside hunting season does not guarantee a lack of gunshots. If there is a nearby gun club or gravel pit, you may hear recreational shooting. Again - a direct question to the owners should answer your questions about this.

Amsterdam, The...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Secluded cabin.

Thanks for the tips! I found something even more ideal:

(Although I will keep searching for now)

http://www.katahdinforestcabins.com/

Amsterdam, The...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Secluded cabin.

I might have found it, several of these look amazing! (even if not all are accessible by car)

www.libbycamps.com/outpostcabins/locations

Wateringen, The...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Secluded cabin.

Owned by a very good friend of mine

www.secludedcabinlyle.com

don't know that it's anywhere near to where you plan to go?

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secluded cabin.

It's on the opposite coast of the United States in Washington...

9. Re: Secluded cabin.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 06:18