We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a vehicle for six

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
Renting a vehicle for six

Trying to decide between an SUV or a van for our trip next summer. Three couples - plus luggage!! Concerned about enough room but also want to make sure that all passengers (especially those in the back) are able to see out.

Thanks for any opinions.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a vehicle for six

Was hoping that someone with more experience in larger-families travel would chime in to help you, but since they haven't. I'll offer up the following as a consideration....

If "all passengers being able to see out" (with good sight lines), a good-sized van (9 or 12 passenger) might work better.... everyone gets a window seat; no one sitting between two other people; enough room for luggage (although maybe not as convenient to load as an SUV depending on configuration of the van).... I'd ask the rental company about the amount of luggage space behind the rear seat in a van before confirming the rental -- then consider whether or not you'll be okay loading luggage into empty seating areas if that becomes necessary (unless there's room to stack all the luggage behind the rear seat).

You may have to decide for yourself whether convinient luggage loading/unloading (through the large rear door of the SUV) or visibility for passengers....

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a vehicle for six

Thanks MOTO - You are very thoughtful to notice that I was not getting any replies to my post!

I will call the rental company and get suggestions.

Hope you are having a good weekend!

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a vehicle for six

If you get a large van (e.g. 12 or 15 passenger model), and will be bringing it back to the same place at the end of your rental, you could try asking them to remove the rear-most seat, so you have plenty of room for stowing luggage, while still having plenty of seating left for your party of 6.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a vehicle for six

With those extra-sized vans you may also have to purchase their collision coverage, as credit cards do not cover collision for vehicles over a certain size.

Usually it will work out much cheaper renting two mid-sized cars, and will give you more room for luggage (and in a hidden trunk instead of out in the open in a van). Plus it gives the couples more freedom to choose various activities.

And generally a regular sized van "seats 7" does not leave any room for luggage for 3 couples.

Edited: 15 December 2013, 22:20
5. Re: Renting a vehicle for six

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2014, 05:16