We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 Maine trip

Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
2014 Maine trip

Had a fabulous trip to Maine and New Hampshire in October, 2013. My husband and I want to return in 2014. The foliage was peak and we got beautiful pictures from which I made a Shutterfly book. This time we would like to be there in time to see the puffins, whales, and moose but not during peak tourist season. We are retired and can go anytime. I was thinking later August or September. Any suggestions?

The Maine Brew Bus
Distillery Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Portland Fire Engine Co
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Schooner Yacht Heron
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2014 Maine trip

Late August (anytime before Labor Day holiday weekend is still considered "prime" tourist season for most of Maine... The time between Labor Day Weekend and the last week in September (when the Fall Foliage tourism season generally begins) is a great time to come.... less traffic, fewer crowds, more accomodations availability, etc. Unfortunately, the majority of the Puffin Tours cease operation in mid-late August because that's when the birds begin leaving the area. The whale watching season runs into late September or early October, so finding a whale-watch-tour shouldn't be an issue.... and moose are where-and-when you find them....

One thing to keep in mind is that moose are not generally "coastal" animals -- finding the more inland, upland areas of Maine more to their liking. So you might want to consider splitting your time between a coastal destination (for the whale watching) and an inland destination (for moose touring).

I;d consider splitting your time between Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park -- whale watching cruises available out of Bar Harbor and some absolutely stunning coastal scenery in Acadia, especially in the clean, clear air of September. Then move inland for a few days someplace like Greenville or Ranegley, both popular places for moose sightings and even organized, commercial moose tours....

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2014 Maine trip

June would be a good time to come. Lilacs and lupines will be blooming. And you'll have a much better chance to see puffins. Puffins are a very shy bird, about the size of a robin. They live on the off islands. Possibly the very best way to get to see a puffin is to take a tour out of Machias. You actually get off the boat, onto the island, and into a puffin blind. I know someone who got wonderful pictures this way.

http://www.boldcoast.com/

3. Re: 2014 Maine trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 05:18