We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michigan to Maine and Back-report

Michigan
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Michigan to Maine and Back-report

First day was to drive to niagara--disapointing: My wife summed it up Las vegas meets the county fair. after all the TV shows on the falls, while impressive the surroundings left us a little dischanted--why anybody would honeymoon there is beyound me.

Day two: the long haul-Niagagra to Portsmouth. really not that much do do but make miles. NYers--need to do something with the turnpike service centers--they were pits. We made portsmout, stayed at the courtyard there, good experience.

Day three: jump into Maine-fianally! First stop, LLBean's, nice break, purchased some neat folding chairs that we never saw in a catalog. we finally break free of I95 and hook up on us one via 3 at augusta, we eat lunch looking at a harbor north of camden. first of many lobster rolls! finally get to our cabin on racoon cove about 8 miles outside of Ellsworth.

Day four: settled in: first is a 10;30 tour on LuLu's lobster boat---this was a big hit! Capt. jon knows is stuff and is very friendly and courteaous--even with rabid lobsters that say "your'e fired"

Eat lunch at the big hotel on the bay--lobster bisque in a bread bowl and crab quessida's--very good! (on on Sunday's there is no enforcement of the parking rules!) we go to Hulls cove to begin the park loop in Acadia. The drive is spectaular. our first hike is the sea coast-- which many die hards say is not much of a hike--but the views are great and lots of opportunities to go off the trail and rock hop. great picture places--we started at otter point a hiked to sand beach, then took the explorer back to Otter point. We needed a nice refreshing break so onto Jordon pond for fresh lemonaid and popovers (1 big glass and 2 popover was 6.95) very good and worth a repeat if you can find the time. We talk with a couple of members of the AT club and they suggest two hikes for us.

Day 5: Go to the light house at the southend of the "quite side" We go at low tide and rock hop to tidal pools--star fish, little tiny lobsters, crabs and such. eat lunch in southwest harbor- next hike was Beech mountain. very good. views are really specatular. round trip takes us 1.5 hours (we did not stop too often)

Day 6. We had heard that the gorge was a good hike, unfortunately it is the gorge path and not the gorge. 3 miles , but it is very close to rt3 and it is on the east side of a mountainso we were pretty exposed (all week was hot) next hike is penabscot mountain (5 hightest peak in the park) after picnic lunch at Jordan pond, we head out--to what is called a "moderate hike" 1.7 miles to the summit and another .2 to sargents pond for a swim. from Jordans pond you take the spring trail which about half way through starts to go more vertical than horizontal, one of my daughters is very ht. phobic (as I am) but we tackled our fears and made it! after this stressful stretch we hit the mountain trail which is another 1 mile+ in very exposed trail (hardly any trees) to the summit. (the thought of the swim is what keeps us going, as well as the thought we are NOT going down the same way we came up! finally make summit and the views are undiscribable - yet I'm soaked in sweat and really need the swim. another .2 miles to the pond. we change a cool go, when not a couple of minutes later we hera distant thunder--time to to go! we don't even bother changing back into our clothes--we know we need to descend quickly. We back track to the deer brook trail.as we descend it is getting darker and darker-I'm almost ready to put on my headlight when the skys open up! I can say I've never been outside when a storm hit that hard. lightening strikes very close by. still descending as quick as the trail will let us we finally hit the carriage road parrellel to Jordan Pond--flat ground but now it is hailing pea size hail stones about 10 minutes later the storm as passed and my gortex boots are now buckets filled with rain water.--we are happy to get to the car. that night time to celebrate our triumph over nature. Lobster pound time. Ate at the northest pound just north of the trenton bridge pound. (we got to the bridge a little late and they stop serving) anyway we were very happy) and a great experience in the real way to have lobster -BYOB! and no fancy surroundings I had the #3 special (2.5 lb lobster for 6.99/lb)

Day 7: Bar harbor shopping--OK this is a family trip and I;m with 3 women--No hiking today. Still happy to be alive. we have steaks back at the cabin, and do some Kayaking in the bay.

Day 8. Whale watching--I think the boat name was Atlantica. Way cool Breaching whales (though unfortunately we came up on a dead whale as well) and whales within 20 yards.! and a drive up Caddillac Mtn--WOW! very worth while without the threat of getting hit by lightening.!

Day 8. Gorhman Mtn. Nice hike but hot with no breeze.. great views. Time to start thing about the 1300 miles back home.

Day 9 Rain!--but we are driving. we decide to take US 2 across to through Me, NH (white Mtns) and vermount (green mtns) stay in waterbury--luckily find a B&b - no vacancies for 30 miles.

Day 10 vacation's over Waterbury to Mi. we cross lake Chaplain , north of Burlington and cross into canada at cornwall. then back into Mi through Port huron. not much for views this route. Back home. wishing I was still in maine. If you have any questions let me know.

Mentioned in this post
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Michigan to Maine and Back-report

Thanks for such a detailed report. Fun to read.

Sounds like you had a great time and made the most of your time.

Sorry for the heat wave. We (the ones of us who live here) all shared your misery!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Michigan to Maine and Back-report

I guess you missed the forum items---in both the Bar Harbor and Acadia N.P. forums, I think---about the Penobscot Mt. trail. It is the old Penobscot trail that was reopened last year---it's easier, provides more views, and certainly is less a problem for people who don't like heights or sheer drops.

I'm thankful that you got down OK. Descending Deer Brook under the best of conditions is tricky and trying.

This summer has been a bit unusual in terms of thunderstorms---ordinarily, the thunder and lightning seem to stay on the mainland. The storms this year remind me a great deal of those from my years growing up in northwestern Wisconsin.

Mentioned in this post
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Michigan to Maine and Back-report

Hi Oldnavy,

Thanks so much for reporting about your trip. I was on the edge of my seat reading about your trek down the mountain when the crazy weather set in. Wow!

I had sort of a similar experience while staying overnight in Pulpit Harbor, a small harbor on North Haven island in Penobscot Bay. We had just dropped anchor and were settling in. It was a gorgeous evening, the sun was starting to go down, and we were going to bbq dinner. Suddenly the wind started to pick up, the sky turned pitch black, the harbor grew rough, and it started to rain and then hail.

Shortly thereafter , our anchor started to drag along with several other boats due to 70 mph winds. We had to fight to keep from slamming into shore, rocks, and other boats. My boys were small then and I had stashed them down below and told them to stay there. They started crying cause it got crazy and all us adults could do was stay on deck and fight from crashing everywhere. I was cool as a cumcumber while the entire experience happened and within about 10 minutes or so it was all over.

Later that night, I freaked, lol, and wondered how the heck I got through it all. Ever since then the thought of a summer squall hitting while out boating is NOT something I ever want to repeat!

Just had to share my harrowing experience to add to yours:). Thanks again for sharing and glad to hear everything turned out well.

cozyharbor

4. Re: Michigan to Maine and Back-report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 13:19