We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days to explore the coast of Maine in late April-

Seattle
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Topic
5 days to explore the coast of Maine in late April-

Two Seattle area couples planning a trip to see Maine for the first time following the Boston Marathon. Driving up and back from Boston. Any suggestions for 2 towns to base out of for 2 nights each? Understand its likely to be cool and quiet.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,865 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days to explore the coast of Maine in late April-

I think I'd spend two nights in Portland and two nights in Bar Harbor. During the full day in Portland, I'd check out the beach towns of Kennebunkport and Ogunquit. Things will be slow there but you'll get to see the beach. Also check out Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth, just south of Portland.

On the drive from Portland to Bar Harbor take coastal route one and stop in Camden for lunch and a walk around this cute little sailing village. While in Bar Harbor, you will be able to drive the Park Loop Road in Acadia National Park and drive or hike to the top of Cadillac Mountain, if the snow has melted by then and the Park is able to open the roads as planned on April 15th. You can also hike or bike on the carriage roads in Acadia. There will be enough open that you can find good dining and decent lodging. I nice place to stay in Bar Harbor would be Aysgarth Station, a quiet Bed and Breakfast on a side street in the village. Jane and Steve will be able to tell you which restaurants are open and which hikes will be ice-free at that time of year. Another place to stay would be Saltair Inn, which is right in the village and also on the water. Kristi and Matt will take good care of you there.

Most of the other B&Bs will not yet be open. If you'd rather stay at a hotel, try The Bar Harbor Inn. They are one of the very few hotels that will be open that early. It's a nice property, right on the water and the Shore Path. You might even be able to see the sun rise from your room.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
Portland Head Light
Portland Head Light
1,780 Reviews
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Park Loop Road
Park Loop Road
1,306 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Cadillac Mountain
Cadillac Mountain
2,731 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor Inn
Bar Harbor Inn
1,786 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Shore Path
Shore Path
1,624 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,955 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days to explore the coast of Maine in late April-

Bonnie took the words right out of my mouth -- think she's given you a great itinerary.... base in Portland with day-trip between the two nights to Ogunquit and Kennebunkport (be sure to include the short shore drive along Ocean Avenue in Kennebunkport).... and check out Portland's "Old Port District" of restored buildings/cobblestone sidewalks etc. which now house some great shops and fantastic "foodie" restaurants! The Portland Regency Hotel (not part of a chain, but locally owned and operated) would make a great place to stay during your visit -- in the Old Port area so walking distance to some nice restaurants and very comfortable with great hospitality.

When you're ready to head back to Boston, a slightly faster route than retracinng your path back down US Rt 1 would be Rt 3 from Bar Harbor to US Rt 1A North in Ellswirth, US Rt 1A North from Ellsworth to I-395 in Brewer, I-395 from Brewer to I-95 South in Bangor, and I-95 south to the Boston area. Would give you a look at Springtime in inland Maine and could be a bit quicker because of fewer small-village downtowns, more multi-lane highway miles with higher speed limits -- although in April it may not make that much difference timewise.... just an option to consider.

Mentioned in this post
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
Ocean Avenue
Ocean Avenue
513 Reviews
Kennebunkport, ME
Old Port
Old Port
978 Reviews
Portland, ME
Portland Regency Hotel & Spa
Portland Regency Hotel...
1,020 Reviews
Portland, ME
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Ellsworth
Ellsworth
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
Brewer
Brewer
Maine
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Maine
Maine
United States
Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days to explore the coast of Maine in late April-

If you are going to be in the area April 25-27 check out the annual Fisherman's Festival in Boothbay Harbor -- boothbayregister.com/affiliate/…7724

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
4. Re: 5 days to explore the coast of Maine in late April-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 06:18