We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sears island

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sears island

Just saw the Facebook post about Sears island, I had never heard of it, any insight if it's worth the drive to visit it when we come to Acadia? Or are my 6 days better spent at Acadia?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,303 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sears island

What did the Facebook post say about Sears Island ? As far as I know, there's not much there. In any case, it could be an easy day trip from Acadia to Searsport.

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sears island

Here is the link pressherald.com/opinion/Maine_Voices__In_dec…

I just never heard of it so I was curious. It was posted via the Acadia national park Facebook page.

Maine
Level Contributor
405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sears island

I don't think there's much there either. I don't think it's worth leaving Acadia for. Check out Stonington and Blue Hill Peninsula if you're looking for something else to do. Beautiful.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sears island

Keep in mind that, from its appearance and tone, the article most likely appeared as an "opinion" piece on the "op-ed" page of the newspaper -- as opposed to an "objective" news item. (I have to admit that I did not see the Press Herald issue in question, but was familiar with both sides of the Sears Island debate for many of my working years). '

Unless things have changed in the last year of so: the Island is accessible by a paved causeway, but vehicle access ends at the island end of the causeway. There are no "visitor facilities" on the island beyond an informational kiosk and the only porta-potty on the island just inside the pedestrian access gate. The island is open to wildlife hunting "in season".

While its undeveloped coastline (except for a partially developed port area that was not completed) offers some good views of the surrounding parts of Penobscot Bay, but because its coastline is mostly gravel-type beaches with none of the rugged cliffs that mark the Acadia National Park coastline, the views tend to be less spectacular. It you're just looking for a casual walk/hike along a wooded gravel coastline, it could be worth a visit, but the more spectacular scenery and greater variety of walking/hiking opportunities is going to be right there at Acadia. If I were making the choice, I personally would not consider the Sears Island experience worth the driving time to-and-from Acadia to do it as a day trip,. If I was already planning to travel the mid-coast on my way to somewhere else and wanted to kill an hour en route, it's one of the places I might consider stopping along the way (but would also weigh it against places like Camden Hills State Park or the Rockland Breakwater)....

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,303 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sears island

And if you are looking for that "small island off the coast" experience, then I would say instead of Sears Island, take the ferry from Stonington out to Isle au Haut. The ferry ride itself is incredibly scenic as you pass small, fir-clad islands. Half of Isle au Haut is owned by Acadia National Park, with hiking trails. The other half is a very small lobstering (with some summer homes) community. AND Black Dinah Chocolates. This can be done as a day trip from Bar Harbor -- albeit a fairly long day, but doable. I've done it a couple of times as a day trip.

Or take a ferry from Northeast Harbor, one of the small towns on Mount Desert Island where the bulk of Acadia National Park is located, out to the Cranberry Islands. Also incredibly scenic. You can walk all around Little Cranberry, between ferries, and have lunch at the dock in Isleford, the small community on the island.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sears island

Great suggestions Bonnie -- either of them would be higher on my list than Sears Island...

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sears island

Thank you for all the information. I wasn't necessarily looking to go to an island. I am trying to learn as much as I can about Acadia before I go this this September. You gave me a lot of things to look at THANKS! My initial investigation the Half of Isle au Haut would be take a lot of time, that is not to say we won't do it, but I appreciate the information so I can explore the possibility. The Cranberry may be more feasible. We will be in Acadia for 6 days, so if you believe one of these is a "must do" please let me know. I appreciate all your insight!!! I try to learn as much as I can before I go so I can try to make sure I make the most of my experience. THANKS AGAIN!!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sears island

Sadie -- Even with all your advance planning, it might be a good idea to make one of your earliest stops once you get to Bar Harbor/Acadia at the Acadia National Park Visitor's Center (it's on your right as you climb a hill on Rt 3 just after leaving the village of Hull's Cove and before you get to Bar Harbor village itself. The staff and rangers there can give you updates on Park programs and activities going on while you're in the area, help you plan how to make the most of the time you have available, and help with any questions about your Park visit. Really friendly, helkpful folks anxious to tell others about the Park.

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sears island

Thank you!

10. Re: Sears island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:25