We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pls help New Yorkers find beautiful seaside town

Old Bethpage, New...
10 posts
Save Topic
Pls help New Yorkers find beautiful seaside town

Hi- Forgot to add the last line about the lobster!!!!!!!

Hi. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

We are a well traveled couple in their 50's looking for a Maine escape on June 4-8. Would love a quaint town with a gorgeous seascape in which to relax. Would love a great B and B that is Immaculate, cozy and has a porch on which to sit and read ....Don't need sightseeing, just good food, a great view and perhaps a place to walk- and peruse some good shops, perhaps a book store, late afternoon coffee or wine....maybe a movie at night....not a blockbuster...even a local cinema is great. Does this exist...?

Sorry forgot to add *****Must be a place to eat Lobster from a picnic table possible at the pound....but great lobster please*****

Many many thanks from a worn out elementary school teacher and her husband the lawyer who is going to PA school at 58.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 01:53
Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Topside Inn
Topside Inn
#1 of 13 hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Belfast Bay Inn
Belfast Bay Inn
#1 of 8 hotels in Belfast
United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pls help New Yorkers find beautiful seaside town

Most of Maine will be quiet in early June so take your pick. The High Tide Inn in Camden comes to mind and the Welch House Inn in Boothbay Harbor. But if you'd like something that's easy from Portland airport (are you flying to Maine?) ...maybe the Black Point Inn in Scarborough or the Billowhouse in Ocean Park.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
High Tide Inn
High Tide Inn
232 Reviews
Camden, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Black Point Inn Resort
Black Point Inn Resort
211 Reviews
Scarborough, ME
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pls help New Yorkers find beautiful seaside town

We flew into Bangor (from California, stopover in Philadelphia) for our mother's funeral in Winterport, a charming little town which was home to our ancestors. We saw locales like you describe in Belfast and Hampden along Penobscot River. There was a lobster place next to the river, looks like a big red barn, where the lobsters are caught and kept in huge tanks and served fresh. There are picnic tables there and it is at the end of a long street. I don't remember the name. It really was not my kind of place. I thought we were going to eat inside with white table cloths. : ) We didn't stay to eat, just took a look. It was a very chilly afternoon. When my sister and brother in law went back last summer they ate there and liked it a lot. They also visited Bar Harbor and loved it there.

When I was there it was the end of May and cold and rainy. There was one day when it was sun shiny in the afternoon, though. Might still be cold at the start of June.

I believe Boothbay Harbor was used in the filming of the movie musical Carousel. You get a nice view of it during the song June is Busting Out All Over.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 06:49
Mentioned in this post
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,955 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pls help New Yorkers find beautiful seaside town

The lobster place described by RedlandsRedhead is Young's Lobster Pound in Belfast. Could be a bit chilly for sitting outside at a picnic table in early June -- often a breeze (at least) on that area of Penobscot Bay.

Mentioned in this post
Young's Lobster Pound
Young's Lobster Pound
876 Reviews
Belfast, ME
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,865 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pls help New Yorkers find beautiful seaside town

Bar Harbor has all those things, including the book store and the movie theatre. Saltair Inn has a great view, large rooms, and a porch on which to read. There is a lobster pound just two blocks away. And a sand bar, exposed at low tide, just a half block away where you can stroll on the ocean floor over to Bar Island. Or watch others do it from the back porch of the inn.

http://saltairinn.com/

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Old Bethpage, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pls help New Yorkers find beautiful seaside town

Thanks for your reply. I am worried about the weather in early June. What are the possibilities that it will be rainy or cold?

Thanks so much for your reply!

Old Bethpage, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pls help New Yorkers find beautiful seaside town

I was also wondering what the major difference between olgonquit and bar harbor is.

Can anyone describe the differences?

Thanks!!!

Old Bethpage, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pls help New Yorkers find beautiful seaside town

We are flying into Portland and will rent a car...We are okay with driving a bit - perhaps an hour or two at most.

Wondering what the differences between Bar harbor and Olgunquit are.

Can you help?

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,865 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pls help New Yorkers find beautiful seaside town

Bar Harbor is three hours from Portland. The major difference between Bar Harbor and Ogunquit is that Acadia National Park is adjacent to Bar Harbor, which means there is lots of public access to the beautiful rocky shoreline. Lots of walking hiking, biking, and kayaking available. Ogunquit has a long stretch of sand beach, whereas Acadia National Park has a much shorter pocket beach of sand, the rest of the shoreline being rocky with some true cliffs.

Perhaps, if you don't want sightseeing and don't want to be very active, Ogunquit will be your better choice. Another difference is that Bar Harbor is deep in a bay. The views are of water but not the open ocean. Ogunquit has wider views of the ocean.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,955 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pls help New Yorkers find beautiful seaside town

Would also suggest -- although I may draw me some critics -- that Ogunquit has a more "upscale" feel, while Bar Habor tends to be more "real Maine" and takes itself just a little less seriously -- at least that's the feeling I've gotten in visiting both places over the past forty years.... Nothing "wrong" with either one -- just different. Probably reflective of the fact that Ogunquit is closer to the Boston megalopolis, while Bar Harbor is more reflective of the more laid-back lifestyle of it's rural Maine neighbors in Hancock and Washington County. Different experiences for different folks...

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pls help New Yorkers find beautiful seaside town

Interesting, Mainer. I guess Ogunquit is more upscale than, say, York beach, but I've always thought of Bar Harbor as being pretty upscale; perhaps not as much as Northeast Harbor, bur certainly more than Southwest Harbor! ;-)

Mentioned in this post
York Beach
York Beach
York, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Northeast Harbor
Northeast Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor