We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting initial planning: please help

ontario
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Starting initial planning: please help

Hubby and I have finally agreed on a mid September trip spot: Maine. This is as far as we have gotten because I am not too familiar with what is available to do so I am looking for suggestions. We are thinking of 7 days and do not want to include Boston ( I know not in Maine but alot of people seem to include a stop) since we have been there. Thought of a cruise at first but then realized that is not the way I want to see this area. Would Portland be the spot to fly into then? We are in our 50's and like to do a little bit of everything; biking, hiking, relaxing, sightseeing and shopping for items representative of the areas we visit and nice meals. As far as accommodations I don't camp and prefer to avoid Holiday Inn etc ( not that anything is wrong with them but had my fair share through work trips). If highly recommended we don't might spending between 300 to 350 a night. Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starting initial planning: please help

Mid-September will be a great time to come..... Most family tourist groups have headed home by the first weekend in Sept. to get the kids back into school and the fall-foliage "leaf peeping" crowd doesn't begin arriving until late Sept. The time in between is when lodging bookings are generally available, restaurants are less crowded, travel is easier (less congested roadways and parking) and almost all travel-oriented businesses are still open (because they want the foliage-visitors business before closing for the season).

Depending on how connections work for you, Portland or Bangor, Maine would be your best bet for airports. From either of them, you could plan a loop trip that could/should include: Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park (allow at least 2 days there), Camden/Rockland, Boothbay Harbor, Portland (two days here would allow you to make a day trip to the southern Maine towns of Kennnebunkport and Ogunquit without changing lodging spots). Bar Harbor/Acadia combines a nice coastal town and the national park; Camden-Rockland is another nice coastal area with some great restaurants; Boothbay Harbor is also a coastal community with a great botanical garden (even non-gardeners enjoy it); and Portland has a great, restored Old Port District with a mix of businesses, shops and restaurants housed in restored waterfront buildings. Lighthouses in Bass Harbor (near Bar Harbor), Rockland, just outside Portland, and York. Great hiking in Acadia National Park and Camden Hills State Park (just outside Camden) with a variety of trails for skill and exercise levels.

Bike the Carriage Trails of Acadia National Park, or along the ocean. Walk the mile-long Rockland Breakwater to the lighthouse at the end. This will get you started with ideas.... more questions welcome, of course.

ontario
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starting initial planning: please help

Thanks, this gets me started. Head is still spinning

Phippsburg, Maine
Level Contributor
172 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starting initial planning: please help

A nice place to visit for a few days might be Sebasco Harbor Resort in Phippsburg. The Burg is pretty much off the tourist track, but there is enough local charm and beauty to satisfy most folks. There's golf, kayaking and other activities at the resort, or check out Bath and Brunswick for shopping. Both towns have vibrant restaurant scenes.

The resort is roughly an hour's drive from Portland, near the southern tip of the Phippsburg peninsula. It's frequently called a 'Dirty Dancing' type old school place, but with enough modern updates to satisfy most tastes.

Have fun!

Edited: 08 April 2014, 17:02
Blue Hill, ME
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Starting initial planning: please help

Don't rule out a cruise just yet! You might want to consider sailing aboard a windjammer out of Camden or Rockland. You can head off for 3-6 nights and get to see many of the wonderful sights that Maine is famous for: lighthouses, islands, lobsterboats, seals. You sail about 6 hours each day, then anchor in a new spot where you can go ashore and explore. Accommodations are simple, the food is outstanding, and it's a relaxing way to explore the coast. If you're interested, you can check out Maine's legendary fleet at www.sailmainecoast.com. Prices average $170 per person per night, all meals, accommodations and activities included.

5. Re: Starting initial planning: please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 07:16