We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland, Maine or Quebec City

Winter Park, Florida
Level Contributor
75 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Portland, Maine or Quebec City

We will be traveling in August - driving from North Carolina and then meeting up with friends in Vermont. Our original plan was to tour Vermont, Portland and then Quebec City. It's now looking like we'll have to drop either Portland or Quebec City and we sure are struggling with the decision.

We enjoy just strolling around, browsing through shops, drinking local beer and good food. We love beautiful scenery - not much on museums.

I know this is a personal choice, but I'm just curious who has been to both and what your suggestions would be

Thanks ever so much

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,357 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland, Maine or Quebec City

I've been to both and, as much as I love Portland, I would choose Quebec City. It's a much larger city with lots to offer. It feels very much like a European city. It's totally unique in North America.

Winter Park, Florida
Level Contributor
75 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland, Maine or Quebec City

Thanks so much for your reply. That's what we were thinking - but figured it never hurts to hear from someone who has been to both. Now I just need to find a great, centrally located hotel.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,473 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland, Maine or Quebec City

I've been to both as well and while I love visiting Portland for it's abundance of wonderful restaurants, Quebec City Is unique. It is really nice in the summer. Definitely take a day trip to the Ile d'Orleans, a rural island about a 15 minute drive from QC that has many farms , orchards and a large number of producers of artisinal foods ( I remember a cheese maker, cassis producer, many farm stands). There is a road that goes around the island.

Winter Park, Florida
Level Contributor
75 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland, Maine or Quebec City

Sounds great. Thanks for the suggestion

5. Re: Portland, Maine or Quebec City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:16