We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
461 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic

Just made my reservations for 2007. Will be spending 2 of 4 weeks in Belfast. This will be a good mid point for day trips to St. George pennisula, Camden/Rockport/, and MDI. I have been to Belfast on day trips only etc. schooner cruises, art fair, and eating. Haven't really got to poke around the town much. Looking forward to this area for a change. Will look gforward to taking some suggestions!!!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2007

Wow---and your luggage still hasn't cooled off from this year's trip! But from what our friends in Oxford have said about the weather there this summer, I can understand the eagerness.

Belfast puts you in better stead for Port Clyde and a day trip (or short stay) to Monhegan. Also, if you like things made of wood, check out the prison workshop store in Thomaston. Then there is the Farnsworth museum in Rockland---always a great display of Maine-inspired art as well as being home to the Wyeth Center.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2007

Hey Traveltoo, have you ever been to Islesford (Little Cranberry Island)? I bet you would love it.

I just got in from two nights out there, stayed at a lovingly-restored B&B run by Evelyn Boxley, she was a wonderful hostess and a very good cook, gave me all sorts of tour-guide exploring advice.

A bike is a big help out there is you can rent one, but if you can't it's not the end of the world as most everything is in walking distance of the dock.

A really sweet island, somewhere you can go for a couple of nights during those other two weeks.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
461 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2007

Michele S, I have never been to Islesford, but there was a program on it on of the Maine's t.v. channels this past June. It does look like a really neat place to visit. It would make a good day trip. Maybe before I head to Swan's either before or after Belfast. The house I rented is through Jaret & Cohn, this is the 1st. time I have rented from them. I tried to rent a house on Rackcliff through Martinsvillemaine.com, I did that a few years back-Cindy is really nice to deal with. The house we wanted was rented the whole month of July by regulars, so we had to look elsewhere. I guess if I wasn't SO picky about what I want to rent it would be a lot easier!!! But when you are spend $3000.00 + per week you have a right to be!!!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2007

But when you are spend $3000.00 + per week you have a right to be!!!

I heard that!

I think you should overnight on Islesford to appreciate it. It's a different island after the last boat of the day has pulled away, taking the throngs on daytrippers with it. Two nights in fact, as I think both B&Bs have two night minimums. I loved where I stayed, and Evelyn was a great tourguide, told me what to see, where to go. Made all the difference!

Boston...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2007

We just stayed at the Seaside Inn B&B in Port Clyde. Really nice lady runs it and her breakfasts were totally awesome!.

When we made the reservations we were a little nervous about having to take a room that has shared bathroom but needn't have worried. They have great big spa bathrobes so you can go up the stairs to the clawfoot tub for a hot soak or to one of the other bathrooms for a shower and no worries.

One night she gave us wine and cheese as a snack, another night it was hot apple pie with ice cream. YUM! Coffee is in the library all the time. We even dug out our laptop and logged onto the internet with their wifi access from our room. All included!

One day we went over to Monhegan Island that was fun. I haven't been there since I was a kid and it hasn't changed much. Another day we tried kayaking.

The Inn is open year round so we're going back in the winter to see what it's like. Things are starting to close for the season so we ate at Sul Mare one night - a really good Italian place that stays open.

Next summer we want to go back and do the shark cage dive. The boat leaves right out of Port Clyde. Way cool!

6. Re: 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 11:22