We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Coast Trip - camping

Kingsville, Canada
11 posts
Save Topic
South Coast Trip - camping

We are planning on tent-camping along the South Coast, on our way to New Brunswick. Can anyone recommend some good places in such towns as Ogunquit, Wells, York, Kennebunkport, etc..?

And then something as we head further north for a few days? Camden? Belfast? Bar Harbor? So many cool places to choose from! We have an 8yr old, and are interested in whale-watching, beaches, ice cream shops, and lots of walking to explore the shore! We unfortunately won't have our bikes. Thanks in advance!

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Coast Trip - camping

I can't help on the south coast, but in Camden, you could have a look at Camden Hills State Park. Just on Rte 1 in Camden, a mile or two north of town.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
166 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Coast Trip - camping

I love the Maine coast. York ME and the light house. There are a number of campground but I have not stayed at any, many seem for trailers only. Moving up the coast, Wells Beach Campground is nice but expensive and Red Apple is nice as well in Kennebunk. We like the Old Orchard beach area and have been to Bayley's, Wild Acres and Powderhorn. Moving up to the Boothbay area we have stayed at Lake Pemiquid, there are nice whale watches and seal watches in the area. At Bar Harbor we stayed at Hadley Point and liked it there.

Phippsburg, Maine
Level Contributor
284 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Coast Trip - camping

North of Portland about an hour on the Phippsburg Peninsula you'll find Hermit Island Campground. They have a tour boat that does fishing, sightseeing and whale watching tours.

http://www.hermitisland.com/

It's not really an island, has campsites on the water, with water views and in the woods, has several lovely beaches and is a short drive from Popham Beach, which if you like beach combing shouldn't be missed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=popham+beach&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KsOtU5COMI6eyAT5mYCYDQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=673

The campground is only a 15 minute drive from Bath if you're hankering for some more upscale restaurants, shopping and other activities such as the Maine Maritime Museum.

Have fun!

Kingsville, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: South Coast Trip - camping

Thanks for the suggestions! Will check them out.

5. Re: South Coast Trip - camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 05:17