We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River rafting in Maine

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Topic
River rafting in Maine

We would like to go river rafting after leaving the Acadia area of the coast. Where are some rafting locations that would be within reasonable distance of the 95 so that we could then head south? I understand we probably have to head inland from the coast, but we want to avoid going too far north or too far west.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
77 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: River rafting in Maine

We are spending 1 week at Acadia in August and decided to add an additional 2 nights to raft the Penobscot out of Millinocket. Check out www.raftmaine.com. They have a page listing driving times to the main rivers from several cities in Maine. After deciding which river to raft, you can look at the different outfitters for that river and then check out their reviews on Trip Advisor to help with choosing one.

Bordentown, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: River rafting in Maine

Last August my friend and I went down the Kennebec River with North Country Rivers. We had a great time and a great guide. I definitely recommend them.

1-800-348-8871

Local 207-672-4814

Fax 207-672-4176

Email Us

Mailing Address:

North Country Rivers

P.O. Box 633

Bingham, Maine, 04920

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River rafting in Maine

Wherever you decide to go, any of the rafting companies I'm familiar with bill their trips as "full day adventures" -- meaning you'd probably want to plan to stay somewhere close to their base-of-operations the night before (or get a pre-sunrise start from anywhere around Acadia), and/or plan to stay in the general area after you get off the river. While not necessarily as exhausting as a full day of vigorous hiking, some folks do find that a day on the white-weter takes aa bit out of them physically. Probably not a good (safe) idea to plan any lengthy driving for the evening after you spend the day rafting.

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: River rafting in Maine

Thanks everyone, great advice.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
152 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: River rafting in Maine

The Forks Maine is the area and there are a number of companies, you get off 95 around Waterville and go about an hour inland. We went with Crab Apple a few years back. You head up around 8/8:30 and you are back around 3. Advanced reservations are most likely needed so you should plan ahead.

6. Re: River rafting in Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 02:05
7. Re: River rafting in Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:17