We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cranberry Islands

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
978 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Cranberry Islands

Was thinking of a day trip to Great Cranberry/Little Cranberry Island.

Is it worth a trip? Are there trails/places to walk, see nature and access the water?

Want to try something different this trip.

Thanks

Phippsburg, Maine
Level Contributor
302 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cranberry Islands

I'm not sure about Great Cranberry, but we enjoyed a stop at Little Cranberry a while back. The village is small but very picturesque and the locals were very friendly. At a little community yard sale, when I tried to buy some fresh picked crab meat, the lady said she was out of it just now but told me how to find her house and that I should just go into her kitchen and grab a tub out of her fridge. That kind of friendly.

There's a nice little restaurant on the pier. It's a small island, so I wouldn't expect much hiking, but it's definitely worth a visit.

You might try taking the boat out to Frenchboro, Long Island if you really want some good hiking. It's stunning out there!

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cranberry Islands

I've never been to Great Cranberry. But I've enjoyed the trip to Little Cranberry (also known as Isleford) a couple of times. The boat ride out there is nice, from NE Harbor. You can walk the entire island from the dock. You can indeed get to the water and even see the natural causeway that almost completely uncovers at the time of low tide to Baker Island. Nice church out there. Nice restaurant, as said. Even a little museum out there.

I think what I liked most about a visit to Little Cranberry is that is not at all a rich man's summer place, like some of the other out islands off Maine. These are lobstermen and artists and regular folk who live out there. They've made a nice sense of community.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
978 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cranberry Islands

Thx for the advise. We spent most of yesterday on Little Cranberry Island. What a gem! So quiet and beautiful. Had an entire cobblestone beach to ourselves for hours. Loads of beautiful flowers and off beat sculptures. We just loved it. Already planning to go again before we leave. Stopped at Great Cranberry for something to eat (nothing open on Tues on LC) and enjoyed that as well. Little different feel but folks were really nice. Hiked thru the woods to a beach that we also had to ourselves. Caught the "shuttle" on the way out and got a wonderful tour of the island. Fabulous day.

4. Re: Cranberry Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:16