We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Infant and Toddler friendly Maine -- Hotels, To do's..

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Infant and Toddler friendly Maine -- Hotels, To do's..

Hey Everyone,

I'll be travelling to maine the 2nd week of Sept with my husband and two kids (ages 2yr and other is 2mo). We'll be coming up from Boston for either 2 or 3 nights.. leaving Logan at 8pm on the 15th.

I need some ideas on places to stay with the two little ones (as the BB's don't look altogether toddler friendly). Also, need some suggestions as to what to do in the area with out TOO much driving.. 1hr long trips here and there at the most. Need a good suggestion of a base location for seeing the sights?

Hotel under $125/night if possible.

Thanks!

Heather

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Infant and Toddler friendly Maine -- Hotels, To do's..

Hi hn0010,

Are you looking for a beachy sort of place or more of the wild, rocky coast?

Into getting out on the water to enjoy the coast by boat and/or fishing, or would you prefer shopping, galleries, and scenic drives?

Would you be happier at a rustic efficiency or cottage type of place where you could microwave or possibly cook some of your own meals or is a hotel with a pool and as many amenities as possible more to your liking?

What type of activities do you like?

Also, since you're coming up from Boston, how far are you comfortable driving? It takes an about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to drive to Ogunquit, 3 to Boothbay Harbor, 4 to Camden//Rockland, and 5 or so to Bar Harbor.

Try and post back with more specific info about what you're looking for and most likely you'll get more responses :).

cozyharbor

California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Infant and Toddler friendly Maine -- Hotels, To do's..

Glenmoorbythesea.com

A nice easy trip is to Lincolnville and take your car onto the ferry to Isleboro for a drive around. I'm sure the two year old will love the boat ride, and a spin around the island is interesting. This is where Travolta & Kirstie Alley and a few other celebs have their summer homes.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Infant and Toddler friendly Maine -- Hotels, To do's..

Thanks for the advice...

A little more on what we're looking for... not a beach vacation (we live on the coast in florida, so I'm "beached-out" MOre of the rocky coastline, lighthouses, scenery, whale watching, boats... *I* like shopping, but can't do too much of that with the little ones. Places to stay... not a moldy motel, but not a fancy resort either.. something in between I guess??? Lots of the BB's look way too formal and stuffy for kids.

Bar Harbor appealed to me, but I think it might be just a little too far to drive.. it'll take twice as long to get there with the kids in the car.

Is boothbay harbor nice? Enough to keep the kids (and us) busy for a few days?

thanks!

Heather

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Infant and Toddler friendly Maine -- Hotels, To do's..

Hi hn0010,

Glad you posted back with more info. If you want rocky coast, lighthouses, etc. then anywhere north of Portland will work.

Boothbay Harbor would probably work really well for you as it's very family oriented, offers lots of activities for kids, has diverse and affordable accomodations as well as all kinds of boating, scenic drives, shopping, and restaurants in all price ranges. Of course I'm biased as I've summered for over 20 years in BBH and now live here year round and absolutely love it :).

So if you decide BBH might be of interest, here's some suggestions.

First, check the Chamber's site at www.boothbayharbor.com and click on the visitor link and everything you could ever want to know about the area will be at your finger tips.

As far as accomodations go; The Tugboat Inn right in the heart of downtown or Browns Wharf on the east side might be just the sort of hotels/motels you're looking for. Both are right on the water with great views, should be in your price range in September, have nice restaurants, and are good middle of the road places.

Another suggestion is the Ocean Pt. Inn, which is about a 15 minute drive from downtown BBH. I recommend this place as it has a gorgeous location on Ocean Pt.; has a pool, access to tennis, views to die for of lighthouses, islands, boat traffic, and open ocean and is a great area to walk, look for sea glass, or just sit watch the world go by. It's very family friendly too.

Boothbay Harbor also offers LOTS of family friendly activities. Some of these are the tons of different boat tours from the inner harbor, to puffin, seal, and whale watches, to fishing trips, and/or lighthouse trips, and/or you could even go aboard a lobster boat and help/watch them pull up the traps.

There's mini-golf, a small aquarium with a touch tank for little ones, a fun little candle pin bowling alley right in town, a shop where you can watch taffy being made, a small movie house, and the railway village where families ride a train around a recreated village of antique homes. In addition there are alot of shops and art galleries.

Just about every restaurant is family friendly also with the exception of a few like the Thistle, The Spruce Point Inn, Lawnmeer, or the Newagen Inn. These are a bit more upscale though still casual.

You'd feel right at home at the Lobster Dock on the east side which I think, has the BEST lobster rolls on the planet; Robinsons Wharf over on Southport Island which offers the same kind lobster in the rough menu and their crab rolls are excellent and so are the views.

Then there's the Ebb Tide which serves breakfast all day, along with great chowder, soups, burgers, and desserts and also the Blue Moon Cafe which offers nice views of the harbor and has a diverse menu which includes quaesidila's, salads, quiche, sandwiches, etc.

A bit more upscale are the restaurants at the Tugboat, the Ocean Pt Inn, 93 Townsend, and the Rocktide. You could definitely bring your little ones to these, but go early and you'll feel more comfortable with them.

There are several scenic drives right in the area out to Ocean Pt, Hendricks Headlight and Beach on Southport, the town dock and the Cuckcolds Lighthouse also on Southport, Trevette and Barter's Island (the Trevette Country Store has a beautiful location and offers a nice lunch menu), Spruce Pt with views to Burnt Island Light, and King Phillips Trail with views out to the Damarascotta River and Monhegan.

Last but not least there's the Boothbay Region Land Trust properties that offer delightful, scenic, and relatively easy strolls and hikes often with views to a quiet cove, river, or open ocean. Dogs and kids encouraged!

Think I've about covered it. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to post again. Meanwhile, have a fun time planning your trip and let us know how it goes :).

cozyharbor

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Infant and Toddler friendly Maine -- Hotels, To do's..

SmugglersCoveMotel.com might be something like what you're looking for.

Since you're not too fussy about where you're staying, in September you could wing it....just drive until you find something you like....not sure how late in the day you'll be starting your drive.....but if you have all day that first day to explore.........go for it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Infant and Toddler friendly Maine -- Hotels, To do's..

Hey You all...

WOW!!! I really wish I was going for longer than three days! I guess I'll just have to make a point of going back.

We're booked at the Ocean Point Inn.. got a great deal there... I'm too chicken to "wing it' with the little ones in tow.. that and we won't be getting there 'til late Tuesday night. It looks nice though.. at least it'll be scenic, not sure how the rooms are. Plenty of room for my 2 year old to run around...

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions... boothbay and the surrounding area looks awesome. And thanks for the recommendations of restaurants.. that'll help a ton as well!!!!

Can't wait.. one more week to go!

Heather

7. Re: Infant and Toddler friendly Maine -- Hotels, To do's..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 00:15