We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobster Shacks that aren't tourist traps?

Chicago
Level Contributor
156 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Lobster Shacks that aren't tourist traps?

Do they exist?

We'd love to visit a few while in the Portland area, but so many that we've found online seem to be obvious tourist traps with limited parking, high prices, amd possibilities for disappointment.

Are there little lobster spots that locals would reccomended or visit?

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lobster Shacks that aren't tourist traps?

Which ones that you've seen seem like tourist traps?

Chicago
Level Contributor
156 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lobster Shacks that aren't tourist traps?

Well no disrespect to anyone, but Two Lights seems to be the definition of a tourist trap. Super busy, expensive, and supported by tourists over locals. Any places within an hour of Portland that might be a little more peaceful/less hectic?

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lobster Shacks that aren't tourist traps?

Not sure how any place that includes such a pleasant view and no parking fee can be considered a tourist trap. And lobster is always expensive, what are they 2 bucks more than places in town for a lobster roll?

www.lobstershack-twolights.com

Within an hour of Portland you have Pine Point in Scarborough where Bayley's, Kens and The Clambake compete for your attention. In Camp Ellis there is Huot's which is very good. In Gorham there's a place that is famous for its Twin Lobster Special.

Lobster is never inexpensive. Hannafords and other supermarkets will sell it to you around market price and cook it for you if you have utensils and plates and a table to dine on @ your inn.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 00:45
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lobster Shacks that aren't tourist traps?

And lobster shacks, only open in the summer, are always more patronized by tourists over locals because locals are busy making a living in the summer. Besides tourists outnumber locals in the summer. And locals have the option of eating lobster at home, those that aren't already sick of eating lobster or never much liked it in the first place.

Chicago
Level Contributor
156 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lobster Shacks that aren't tourist traps?

Thanks all, I understand the economics and price of lobsters. Just hoping to find a place perhaps a little more off the beaten path than places such as Two Lights. Appreciate all the suggestions and help!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lobster Shacks that aren't tourist traps?

Yojosh: your first post implied that you had found more than one spot online that didn't appeal. I asked about what you had found so I wouldn't bother listing any of those locations. As you only mentioned Two Lights in your reply, I will just go for it. The places Haroldnmaude suggested are a good jumping off point, although the Clambake is a little too close to a tourist trap for me. The Clam Shack on the bridge in Kennebunkport will look like a tourist trap to you, but the lines are long for a reason. Several regulars on this site recommend Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster Co. in Freeport.

Bonniemaev hit the nail on the head when she told you that tourists outnumber locals at lobster shacks because we're probably eating lobsters at home. (I never get sick of lobster, but I have family members who do!). We eat them at home because they're messy and because we can buy them cheaper that way. We are a frugal bunch. So if you want to eat lobster like a local, go to a lobster pound, buy as many as you wish, melt some butter and have at it. If you choose the option to buy them at a supermarket, please ask if they are from Maine. The absolute last time I made a supermarket lobster purchase, they were from Canada. :-(

Maine
Level Contributor
812 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lobster Shacks that aren't tourist traps?

I had a great lobster roll at Fox's at Nubble Light in York. Yes, it is crawling with tourists but where isn't this time of year. I also enjoyed a good lobster roll and an amazing view at Five Islands in Georgetown.

Both can be reached in less than an hour's drive from Portland.

8. Re: Lobster Shacks that aren't tourist traps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:16