We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sights and shopping south coast of maine or mid state??

PA
10 posts
Save Topic
sights and shopping south coast of maine or mid state??

My wife and I are traveling to maine in october. Our main interests for the trip (our anniversary) is the fall sights and shopping. We want a quiet, charming atmosphere. I was thinking of oqunquit area but im not so sure if i should'nt go further north to camden area. Any suggestions?

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sights and shopping south coast of maine or mid state??

Hi dbrick,

Oqunquit is a lovely coastal town with lots to offer. However, it does pretty much shut down after Columbus Day Weekend as does Boothbay Harbor and some of the other coastal areas. By shut down, I mean a majority of the restaurants, shops, accomodations, and organized activities close up, leaving a bare bones type of feeling with just a few places open to keep the towns going.

If you're planning on making the trip before that weekend or during, Ogunquit or anywhere else you choose will be fine. Ogunquit has great beaches, the Marginal Way which is a path that sits high above the ocean and with great views out to sea while the other side offers views of quaint summer homes. The path is about a mile and takes you from one end of town to the other.

In addition to pretty beaches and the Marginal Way are lots of shops, galleries, and restaurants. And there are also scenic drives out to Cape Neddick and beyond worth taking.

But if you want rocky coast, evergreens, crashing waves, lighthouses, etc. then you might think of going north of Portland. There's Boothbay Harbor (which of course I'm partial to since I live here), the Pemaquid peninsula, and the Camden/Rockland area, along with several other nice spots along the way.

Again, Boothbay pretty much shuts down by mid to late October, but Camden/Rockland are more year round towns and both are pretty and offer lots of pretty scenery.

Maybe start your search by checking out www.visitmaine.com which is the state's visitor's website. They'll be able to provide you with just about everything you'd need to plan a trip.

Once you decide on a location you can always post again and those who know the area can respond and help out a bit.

Meanwhile, happy anniversary in advance and I hope you have a wonderful time in Maine.

cozyharbor

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sights and shopping south coast of maine or mid state??

Hi, we just spent 10 days in Midcoast Maine--Bath, Brunswick, Wiscasset. These are all charming places. I am not sure what they would be like in October though.

You also would be close to Freeport where there are many stores to shop in including L. L. Bean.

Happy Anniversary

3. Re: sights and shopping south coast of maine or mid state??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 17:21