We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is Maine Lobster the best???

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Why is Maine Lobster the best???

Hey everyone,

I've posted about hotels and "to-do's" in another thread, but I need some help with a food question.

I've never been to the northeast.. I'm a midwest girl currently living in Florida, so sea food is pretty much a mystery to me. My husband LOVES seafood however.. in LARGE quantities. Here in Orlando we have a buffet restaurant called LobsterFeast. All you can east Lobster for $34. So when I told him a lobster roll was around $15, he said.. what's the point when I can go to LF and eat five lobsters for $34. I tried explaining it to him that it was different BUT not being from maine, nor a seafood officianado.. well, I didn't argue it too well. So, please.. he's making me crazy... Why is Maine lobster that you actually eat IN maine so special?

I've been reading a lot about Red's Eats.. as a MUST for a lobster roll (which is bascially a lobster sandwich???? ) Anything else in the Boothbay area? OR, other seafood recommendations. No buffett restaurants are there? He's big into quantity, not so much quality... I'm hoping maine lobster will change his mind!

Anyway.. help me resolve this rift developing before we get up there or we're going to be eating pb j's and cheerios while we're there!!!

Heather

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is Maine Lobster the best???

A lobster roll is lobster meat mixed with mayonnaise and served on a grilled hot dog bun.

Lobster eaten in Maine is better because it hasn't spent hours on an airplane or in a tank before it is eaten. It used to be that the only lobster one could get in other parts of the country was lobster tails whereas the best and sweetest meat is in the claws. A whole lobster is therefore so much better than a lobster tail.

But if hubby is into quantity rather than quality, it might not really make much difference to him if he eats it at your chain restaurant Red Lobster or at a dock in Maine, where only hours before that lobster was crawling along the ocean bottom.

No, there aren't many buffet restaurants in Maine like there are in the South.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
945 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is Maine Lobster the best???

Fresh Maine lobster is the best, period. But as a friend once said to me - boiled lobster is just an excuse to eat melted butter. And 5 boiled lobsters is an excuse to eat a lot of melted butter. Oh the cholesterol! (That's a reminder for me since we head to Maine in 4 days and I have worked hard to bring my cholesterol down from 202 to 122. <Pat on the back!>)

Anyway, are the lobsters you are getting in Orlando cold water lobsters or warm water lobsters? Cold water taste better. Are they Maine lobsters or lobsters from South Africa? Maine lobsters are better.

But my preference is lobster used in an interesting recipe. I don't know where you are headed in Maine but try some dishes other than plain boiled lobster. I could recommend the lobster crepes at Maggie's in Bar Harbor and the Thai lobster at Windows on the Water in Kennebunkport. And yes even the lobster roll at Red's. Items that, quite frankly, we don't see much here in Pennsylvania. I am venturing to guess the same may be case down your way.

Now let's talk PB&Js!

Enjoy.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is Maine Lobster the best???

If you have a second, read this recent article from a Maine paper about the meaning of the term "Maine Lobster" …mainetoday.com/news/local/2985496.shtml

The Maine Lobster Promotion Council is worried that the term "Maine Lobster" is being used loosely used to describe the Atlantic Lobster, see http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=533 as opposed to the spiny lobster which lacks the pinching claw. See http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=155 and that lobster being caught outside of Maine is being passed off as "Maine" lobster in restaurants across the country. Much like the way many folks use the word Kleenex to refer to any tissue and not just a tissue of the Kleenex brand.

Look for "tagged" Maine lobster coming soon to a restaurant near you!

IMHO, to be truly appreciated the Maine lobster needs to be eaten in Maine. On a summer day. At a picnic table with a killer view.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is Maine Lobster the best???

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. My hubby says, "well.. we shall see.. I'll eat lobster every day we're in Maine!"

So, I'll let you know when we get back in two weeks how Maine Lobster compaires to Red Lobster!!!! ;-)

Heather

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is Maine Lobster the best???

My hubby says...I'll eat lobster every day we're in Maine!"

Exactly what the Maine Lobster Promotion Council likes to hear.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is Maine Lobster the best???

Hi hn0010,

I lived in South Florida for about 6 years and rarely did the lobster taste as good as Maine lobster ! I don't know where it came from but trust me, it's not the same nor as good.

I also agree with Michelle about lobster tasting best while eaten at one of the zillions of lobster shacks/pounds in Maine with a great view :). Of which Two LIghts Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth has one of the most stunningly beautiful views ever.

You mentioned Boothbay Harbor. One of the best places for lobster rolls has got to be the Lobster Dock on Atlantic Ave. on the east side of the harbor.

They offer two kinds; the first is the kind most offered i.e. lobster meat mixed with a bit of mayo on a toasted or grilled hot dog roll. Theirs is excellent as they don't overdose on the mayo.

The second kind is a warm lobster roll which is out of this world. It's still a toasted/grilled roll but the lobster is warm and mixed with a bit of melted butter and probably some mysterious seasoning.

Bottom line is that it's almost like a lazyman's lobster, but on a bun and it's excellent.

Another great place for lobster in the rough is Robinson's Wharf on Southport Island, just over the Townsend Gut bridge. They also have great crab rolls too. In fact they're the best I've ever had.

The Thistle Inn offers a wonderful lazyman type lobster dish with rosotto and fresh vegetables with a nice sauce. Just had it the other night and it was wonderful though a bit expensive.

In any case, hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy all the lobsters you can eat.

Oops one last tip, once in BBH check out the different boat tours as there's one where you can go out with a lobstermen and haul or set traps! That'll give you the chance to talk to an expert on the subject and it's alot of fun too (took my kids on it years ago when they were much younger and they loved it and so did I).

cozyharbor

7. Re: Why is Maine Lobster the best???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 00:15