We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need advice for long weekend on southern maine coast

webster, ny
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
need advice for long weekend on southern maine coast

We are thinking of flying into Boston in early October and renting a car to drive up the coast to Maine for a long weekend.

We will arrive Boston early in the day on a Friday...and we will have to be back to Boston about mid day on Sunday.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good place/town to stay our first night? second night? or maybe a central location we can stay both nights and venture out from?

We really just want to explore a bit of the southern coast, eat out, see a few sights. Not too interested in shopping or nightlife or tourist attractions....altho, if there's something we shouldn't miss seeing...we're open to ideas.

Also not interested in large hotel complexes/resorts...prefer smaller but on the water if possible (beach not necessary).

Thanks for any advice. It will be a first time visit.

Mikell

California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need advice for long weekend on southern maine coast

Terrace By the Sea in Ogunquit

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need advice for long weekend on southern maine coast

The Colony Hotel in Kennbunkport.

Okay, it's a big hotel, but it's a neat old classic Maine hotel right on the water and I think you'd enjoy it.

And, Kennbunkport is centrally located.

And, they have a terrific breakfast buffet (included.)

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need advice for long weekend on southern maine coast

Recently spent a week at Nautilus Inn in Ocean Park - no frills, quiet and on beach - other sites in S. Maine easily accessible. See http://www.nautilusbythesea.com/ for more details.

Naugatuck, CT
Level Contributor
172 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need advice for long weekend on southern maine coast

I would also suggest The Terrace By The Sea in Ogunquit. Stayed there for 3 nights, off-season in early June, and had a wonderful stay. Very quite, right on the water, short walk to the beach, Marginal Way, etc. Our room was exceptionally clean and staff very friendly. Also had a nice expanded continental breakfast each morning on the porch. Very relaxing.

webster, ny
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: need advice for long weekend on southern maine coast

Thank you for the suggestions. I thought it would be easier to find a place at this time of year but I guess it remains busy through October.

The only room available at the Terrace is a partial view in the motel building...but we still opted for this inn since the location seems so ideal and we won't likely spend much time in the room anyway.

Other hotels/resorts were booked or had rooms that were too expensive for our budget.

Now...can anyone suggest some things we might go see on a day trip up the coast from here? How far can we reasonably travel in one day and get back not too late?

We don't really want to shop (not interested in outlet stores)...but do like small towns and interesting/unique markets and such. And would love to walk along a more rugged coast...and plan to drive with the ocean in view as much as possible up the coast....hope there is a good coastal highway.

Also are there any boat tours worth taking at this time of year? Maybe a lobster boat tour? Or a tour of islands? We like being on the water.

thanks again for the advice...we'll be counting the days til we leave.

mikell

Naugatuck, CT
Level Contributor
172 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need advice for long weekend on southern maine coast

We did go to the Stone Kitchen store, which is really pretty huge, and they have lots of neat food finds. Also, went to the Maine Diner on Rt. 1 in Wells, which had great blueberry pie. Walked the Marginal Way which was really nice. The location is really perfect at The Terrace. I think there may be some kind of a festival going on in October, in Ogunquit, called Ogunquitfest or something like that. Maybe you could do a search and find out - maybe that's why there are not many rooms at that time of year. Enjoy!

CNY
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: need advice for long weekend on southern maine coast

Mikell,

My family has been visiting Ocean Park for about 8 years in a row now. LOVE IT for quaintness, etc. We stay at the Billowhouse, they have made us feel like family! Great prices off season, which is when we like to go. Definately take a trip to Two LIghts State Park. Great walking path along the ocean, views beyond beautiful, not to mention the Lobster Shack near by. Don't miss it!

state.me.us/cgi-bin/… and http://lobstershack-twolights.com/.

California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need advice for long weekend on southern maine coast

You really don't have that much time. I'd park myself at the York Harbor Inn or Terrace by the Sea for the two nights, drive around and see all the downtown areas of York Harbor, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport and maybe up to Cape Porpoise and Arundel.

webster, ny
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: need advice for long weekend on southern maine coast

tracy...

thanks for those tips...that's pretty much what we were thinking...

we booked friday and saturday nights at terrace by the sea...we get in pretty early on friday...and don't have to be back to boston til late afternoon on sunday...so we should have time to explore a bit of the coast...

we are most interested in exploring the shore and maybe port towns and their waterfronts...and we'd like to take maybe one short cruise...on a lobster boat??? thinking maybe kennebunkport for that? or do you have other suggestions? just something so that we get out on the water and see the shore from that perspective for a couple of hours.

thanks for your suggestions...we know we have limited time...but want to make the most of it.....all ideas are welcome.

mikell

10. Re: need advice for long weekend on southern maine coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 04:17