We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip from Buffalo, NY...where to go? PLEASE HELP!

Chicago
1 post
Save Topic
Road Trip from Buffalo, NY...where to go? PLEASE HELP!

HI!

My husband and I are from Chicago and we will be driving to Buffalo New York (in a rental) this summer for a friend's wedding (late July). Afterwards, we want to drive somewhere else to spend a week before we fly back to Chicago. We have never been to the East coast before and were thinking along the lines of Vermont? or Maine? We don't want the drive to be any longer than 8 hours or so, but we would love to find the ocean!

We love to do a variety of things, hike, bike, dine-out, shop, lay on the beach, explore the history of new areas... I guess we are looking for a place that will provide all of the above. We would love to stay in either a bed and breakfast, or a nice hotel, but we are young and both teachers...so we want the best deals for our money!!

Please help! I feel so overwhelmed planning this trip as I have no idea what to do and searching online is adding to the problem. I know that potentially, this could be one of the greatest trips of our lives, if we're lucky enough to get the inside scoop from someone out there who knows!

Thanks in advance for your response...and please, the more details the better!

And I know Chicago like the back of my hand so I could return the favor....

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip from Buffalo, NY...where to go? PLEASE HELP!

8 hours of driving from Buffalo, isn't even going to get you to the New York/Vermont state border. Sorry to tell you that.

If your willing to drive longer, and you really want to see the ocean, there are so many lovely places to stay along the coast. If you are going to fly back to Chicago you might want to look at someplace near Portland,ME. Personally I love the little town of Kennebunkport.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip from Buffalo, NY...where to go? PLEASE HELP!

Hi vtmom13. I have to correct you as I live in Albany, NY, which is 5 hours from Buffalo and 1 hour from the Vermont Border ( 6 hours total ). That is Bennington, Vermont...a few hours south of Manchester.

And to takemomaroundthe world, if you were visiting in October, I would recommend Vermont as the first choice. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking in the Fall.

But Maine, in my opinion is the place for July. As vtmom13 has indicated, it will take several hours to drive to the Maine coast from Buffalo. But it will be an experience you won't forget.

You can try the "goLists" on this forum (in the left hand margin). I'm sure you will find information on places to go and things to do. Wish I could have helped more. Good Luck.

California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip from Buffalo, NY...where to go? PLEASE HELP!

July prices are out of control for coastal maine, you might try High Tide Inn just outside of Camden, Camden has pretty much everything you're looking for.

4. Re: Road Trip from Buffalo, NY...where to go? PLEASE HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 03:17