We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

York Beach mis-adventure

illinois
Level Contributor
177 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
York Beach mis-adventure

After a wonderful week in Bar Harbor we had a night to fill on our way back to Boston. The southern coast area looked good and we used a Maine travel brochure and picked out The Anchorage Inn at York Beach (not to be confused with Anchorage by the Sea further up the road).

Perhaps we could have made a poorer choice, but then again, maybe not. The room suffered from too many aerosol sprays to 'freshen' the room. It was dated with a 5x5 bathroom and a mattress that may have predated the hotel itself. We thought of putting the mattress on the floor, but it was too tight a fit.

The 3rd floor 'oceanview' was that, although it first overlooked a common porch walkway that precluded leaving the sliding door open to hear the surf at night; next was the parking lot, then the pool area, the road and finally the restaurant on the beach.

Oh!! the Resaurant. It was a worse choice than the hotel itself. We walked over for breakfast, sat down in a half empty room and 20 minutes later our waitress still hadn't been at our table. Other wait staff were putting artificial flowers on tables, one vase at a time. We got our own coffee from the waitress station and watched other patrons arrive and order while we waited for service. I asked a passing waitress if anyone was serving our table and was advised that our girl was"'new and would be along". I then watched our waitress take an order from a table of just seated patrons and head to the computer to put their order in, but she was totally flummoxed by the computer.

We got up to leave, but felt it wise to offer to pay for the coffee we had all but brewed -- and the hostess, when advised of our dis-satisfaction first felt it necessary to check with 'our waitress' to ensure we were not stiffing them. (Our waitress had this distant look in her eyes as the hostess pointed to us at the register. I don't think she could ID us!). The hostess did feel it necessary to charge for the coffee despite our service related complaint.

For the record, we drove down the coast and really loved the area and will return there to stay, but I think you know who won't be getting another cent from us!

California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: York Beach mis-adventure

Darn, I thought this was gonna be another hilarious story about the wacky lady at the Long Beach Motor Inn in York. Granny Clampett I think they call her. Oh well, thanks for the report, hope you have better luck in the future! Try the York Harbor Inn next time, at least for dining if not for an overnight.

Montreal Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: York Beach mis-adventure

I thought the same as Tracy....was hoping it would be another hilarious story about the York Beach "lady" .

3. Re: York Beach mis-adventure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 22:17