We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Suggestions

igm
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Suggestions

Hi,

My fiancee and I are planning to come over to the east coast US from Scotland for our honeymoon in July. We're planning to spend 4 nights in each of Washington DC, Boston and New York (we'll fly in and out of NY), but have a spare 4 or 5 days that we're unsure of where to stay.

We're keen to use these spare days at the start of our honeymoon to relax after our wedding, before going onto the more hectic cities. Ideally we'd like to find a villa/hotel/beach house by the sea where we can take it easy, soak up some sun and unwind. We've no planned order to our holiday (I think we'll do New York last), so happy to go anywhere along the coast from a little south of Washington to a little north of Boston (and anywhere inbetween!) and then order the cities dependant on where we are.

So, does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm going to post this on a few of the other state noticeboards that have coastlines between Boston and DC (so apologies if you read this twice).

MANY thanks!

Ian

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
232 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Suggestions

Have you considered flying into Boston and out of Washington, DC, or vice versa? I just think that going from NY to Boston, Boston to DC, and DC back to NY means you'll be doing a lot of unnecessary traveling.

Maryland only has one oceanfront beach town - Ocean City, a 3-hour or so drive from DC. It will be bustling in July, with tons of families on summer school vacation. It could be lots of fun, although I wouldn't expect quiet and relaxing. If a swimming beach isn't that important to you, you might want to find a place to stay on the Chesapeake Bay. Chestertown, St. Michaels, Oxford, Easton are all nice places on Maryland's eastern shore where you can find B&Bs, small inns, or houses to rent. If it were me, I would look for one with a swimming pool, since it will most likely be hot and humid in July.

Good luck on your planning. I hope you have a wonderful honeymoon.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
698 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Suggestions

Oxford, definitely. Charming, sleepy little town, on the Bay/Miles River, and there are/is at least one waterfront B&B with private cottage right at the water's edge. Two great towns within easy drive of Oxford - Easton & St. Michaels. Easy walking towns, cobblestone streets, flags, window boxes, restaurants. . . True Americana

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
698 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Suggestions

Oh, yes, I forgot, depending on your budget, check out "The Inn at Perry Cabin" in St. Michaels. Spectacular. Swimming Pool, Billiards, Bikes, Boat rides, on the bank of the Miles river, lots of shade trees, Charming town, GREAT food.

4. Re: Honeymoon Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 22:19