We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for week's holiday in March

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions for week's holiday in March

We're flying to Baltimore from London on the 5th March for a week. Can anyone suggest some places to go. We thought we'd start in Baltimore and also go to Washington for a day or two. Where are the best places to visit and can we see the 2 cities by public transport?

I'd also like to drive out into the country - are there any interesting small towns to browse around without driving too far?

What is the weather likely to be then?

Are there any second hand book stores in Baltimore?

We'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,334 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for week's holiday in March

I would actually reverse that, spending the majority of your time in Washington with a side trip to Baltimore for maybe one or two nights at a maximum.

There is a bit to see in Baltimore, but for a tourist it doesn't compare to Washington's historical sites. (White House, US Capitol, Museums, Monuments etc etc etc)

There are all kinds of towns for a day trip. Annapolis comes to mind, or you could just do a "wander" to Maryland's eastern shore. Gettysburg or Antietam for civil war battlefiels...depends on your intersts, really.

Weather in early March is totally unpredictable. Might get a warm spell, more likely to be cool with high temps around 13-15. Could be much colder, with snow - it's just hard to tell!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
418 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for week's holiday in March

Wow, this could go in so many directions. There is soooo much to see in Baltimore and DC. What are your interests, museums, shopping, history? Are you traveling with children?

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for week's holiday in March

yes, please do give us more insight into what your interests are...

small towns could range from frederick to st. michael's...annapolis (not SO small)...

all kinds of possibilities...it'll probably be COLD, though!

in baltimore, in the cold weather....i'd recommend the museums.

walters art gallery & the baltimore museum of art are the classics. both have wonderful collections.

the walters is more "classical" & the BMA has more "modern"...as in 19th century & above.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions for week's holiday in March

Thank you for your suggestions. My husband and I are both 60 and there are just the two of us.

We will hire a car but my husband doesn't want to spend too much time driving (as we did when we visited Texas). We will visit some museums, but don't want to visit all historical sites (being English we're not so familiar with all the history).

I've been working quite hard and want a relaxing week. I enjoy seeing the countryside and pottering around small towns and looking at the shops (not necessarily shopping!). I would like to spend some time in book shops.

Obviously it will depend a bit on the weather as if it is wet we'll want to be indoors more.

Would it be best to stay outside Baltimore/Washington and go in by metro. We prefer a quieter hotel but if we don't have a car in the city (and it looks as though it's best not to have one in Washington) we'd need to be close to restaurants etc.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions for week's holiday in March

Thank you for your suggestions. My husband and I are both 60 and there are just the two of us.

We will hire a car but my husband doesn't want to spend too much time driving (as we did when we visited Texas). We will visit some museums, but don't want to visit all historical sites (being English we're not so familiar with all the history).

I've been working quite hard and want a relaxing week. I enjoy seeing the countryside and pottering around small towns and looking at the shops (not necessarily shopping!). I would like to spend some time in book shops.

Obviously it will depend a bit on the weather as if it is wet we'll want to be indoors more.

Would it be best to stay outside Baltimore/Washington and go in by metro. We prefer a quieter hotel but if we don't have a car in the city (and it looks as though it's best not to have one in Washington) we'd need to be close to restaurants etc.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions for week's holiday in March

I suggest going up to Frederick for a bit. It's convenient to both DC and Baltimore (about an hour, depending on traffic) and has some nice shopping. It's a smallish city with a wonderful downtown--a few streets with the eclectic shops, a creekside promenade, and a gorgeous public library. (If you like books--and it seems you do--you would love it. It fronts on the creek! There are lovely bridges around, and an outdoor mural down the walk.) There is also a nice secondhand bookstore, Wonder Book and Video, in Frederick, although it is at an ugly strip mall and now walkable from downtown. (Here's the site: http://www.wonderbk.com) It is possible to get to Frederick's downtown from DC via the MARC train. (Perhaps people with more experience with this can let you know if it's a feasible plan)

If you were planning to drive, there is nice countryside north of Frederick, with Catoctin Mountain National Park set into the mountains and some pretty countryside.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestions for week's holiday in March

frederick would be good, i agree...& maybe you could stop in new market the same day, if you're not wanting to do any hiking in the catoctins.

you also might enjoy annapolis, though it could be a little bit hectic driving for you...(it is for ME lol)

think about a little detour to the eastern shore. crossing the chesapeake bay bridge is really something you'd remember...& there are some cute little towns with interesting shops not far from the bridge.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestions for week's holiday in March

Thank you very much for these suggestions. It sounds as though it might be fun to tour around a bit and stop in the various small towns. We do want to go to Washington but I read that it might be best to go at the weekend. Could anyone suggest a leisurely itinerary? We arrive on Wednesday and fly back to the UK the following Tuesday.

USA
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: suggestions for week's holiday in March

I live in the Frederick area, so a couple of thoughts: First, I agree with those who recommend my adopted town. It's really very charming. You might want to visit www.fredericktourism.org and browse around.

Second, there is a really cool used bookstore in Baltimore called "BookThing" - all books are FREE. You heard that correctly. Check out www.bookthing.org and enjoy!

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suggestions for week's holiday in March

Thank you for your suggestions. We'll definitely go to Frederick.