We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed and Breakfast in the Chesapeake Bay area

Sanford, Florida
Level Contributor
140 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Bed and Breakfast in the Chesapeake Bay area

Hi there, my husband and I are planning to take a trip to the Washington DC/Maryland area May 19th to May 23rd. We want to stay in the Chesapeake Bay area but close enough so that we can take a day trip to Washington DC. We were thinking Annapolis but the Naval Academy's graduation is that week (might be a bit crowded). Is there a quaint area on the water(close to restaraunts,shops, historical places) that is known for it's bed and breakfasts? We are also looking at the St. Michaels area but not sure how far it is from washington.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
746 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bed and Breakfast in the Chesapeake Bay area

Saint Michaels is a bit of a hike from DC. If I had to guess, I'd say it's about 2 - 2.5 hours, depending on traffic. Mapquest would give you a better estimate. The St. Michaels/Easton Area is a good place to base for a week on the bay, but ony you can decide if the distance from DC is too great for your idea of a day trip. The only other option coming to mind is Solomon's island/St. Mary's city. Solomon's Island is quaint but not so much as St. Michaels, and unless you take a fishing charter, I don't know if I could stay busy for a week there. St. Mary's City is a short drive away and would make a nice day trip from Solomon's. Solomon's Island is about 1 - 1.25 hours from DC - again, depending on traffic. You might try posting on the Virginia Board for suggestions on the other side of the Potomac - close to DC.

Sanford, Florida
Level Contributor
140 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bed and Breakfast in the Chesapeake Bay area

Thanks for the info (I thought it might be 45 minutes away or so but maps can be deceiving by just glancing.). Looks like I might have to do more research. We're kind of playing this trip by ear so any interesting waterfront areas would be great. We might stay a couple of days in one area and possibly even drive up to gettysburg for the rest of the time.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
746 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bed and Breakfast in the Chesapeake Bay area

Mapquest says it will take 1:45 to drive from St. Michaels to DC. Clearly, that is in non-rush hour traffic, but probably accurate for a straight shot across Route 50. The speed limit on 50 is 65 and there is a HOV lane much of the way.

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bed and Breakfast in the Chesapeake Bay area

I'm not sure that the town itself has too much to offer but this might be an option for you. The Chesapeake Beach Resort & Spa is located South of Annapolis. I have been in the area before but could not remember exactly how far away they were. However, their website claims that they are both 30 minutes for Washington DC and 30 minutes from Annapolis. So you could do day trips and then come back to a very quiet and relaxing waterfront retreat. I haven't checked trip advisor for its ratings but I know it's newly done and it looks like a great place.

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bed and Breakfast in the Chesapeake Bay area

I know you were looking for B&B's, but there are some hotel lodging in Annapolis still available for the week that you are planning to come to the area. I had to do some research for a friend and just happened to plug in your dates as well.

It's pricey for the most part, but welcome to Annapolis. The brand new Westin has rooms under $300. O'Callaghan which is nearby is $219/night, the Loews is over $300. All of these are located in or within walking distance of the historical district. Although these are bigger properties, they can still be quaint and architecturally appropriate for the area. Annapolis has no high rises, or skyscrapers, and for the most part these properties fit well into the landscape.

Outside of town near the mall, Doubletree is under $200, and the Sheraton and Country Inn Suites are under $300. Unless you're under $200, your best bet is staying in the historic district. You won't have to worry about driving in and finding parking which can be the biggest head-ache.

Another area you can consider is in Queen Anne's County which is immediately over the bridge from Annapolis on the Eastern Shore. Although commuting across the bridge is just not too fun unless you can schedule it for a time where traffic is at a minimum. Unlike St. Micheals, which is still a drive, this is really close.

Sanford, Florida
Level Contributor
140 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bed and Breakfast in the Chesapeake Bay area

We've decided to stay in St. Michael's and have gotten a room at The Old Brick Inn. We figured we'd take the Washington DC trip next year at a time when there are no graduations going on and the Smithsonian American History museum is re-opened. So now we're just looking forward to relaxing on the waterfront, drinking wine and eating crabcakes. :)

7. Re: Bed and Breakfast in the Chesapeake Bay area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 22:17