We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cumberland - help !

Liverpool
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cumberland - help !

Am staying in Cumberland en route from Baltimore to Falling Water.

I cannot find any recommendations for bars or places to eat and am starting to get cold feet.

Can anyone help ?

We are two Brits on a baseball tour and leaving an O's game Wednesday afternoon, needing to drive to within striking distance of Falling Water for early tour next morning but then needing to get to Louisville to see the bats play on Thr night !

All help gratefully received on places to go in Cumberland or alternative stops en route if its really bad , thanks !

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,824 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cumberland - help !

Cumberland can be a bit depressing, sorry if I offend any locals but it wouldn't be my choice for an overnight stop. It's just kind of "grim" for lack of a better term, a small city that has fallen on hard times.

Not much else in the area, but one option is to push on a few miles past Cumberland to Frostburg, Maryland. It's a small college town with at least a little character to it and a few places to grab a bite in the downtown area. There is a fairly new Hampton Inn on the outskirts of town.

near Washington DC
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cumberland - help !

Wow. Its not that bad!! Here is my opinion. Cumberland was a thriving town nestled in some beautiful mountains in Western MD. When the major manufacturing industry of the town (Kelly Tires) closed ~40 yrs ago, the town has been a ghost town. Unemployment is bad there. It is still a beautiful town.

I'd love to recommend a restaurant in Cumberland. But I can't. But I do recommend a town about 10 miles west of Cumberland, LaVale. Its not high dining and don't look for a dining experience. But you can find a good and meal here. Try Kline's Restaurant at 1068 National Hwy

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,824 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cumberland - help !

OK, so it's a beautiful town with high unemployment and nowhere to eat. I'm thnking that still doesn't make it a good option for visitors.:)

Liverpool
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cumberland - help !

so, where to eat if I switch to Frostburg - and any decent bars for two 30 - something blokes ?

And how far are they/ downtown from the Hampton Inn ?

near Washington DC
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cumberland - help !

Not quite sure the location of "Falling Waters" so I need some clarification here. And I don't know in what downtown the Hampton Inn is located. But I understand you're traveling from Baltimore to Louisville with a stop along the way.

My family is from Western MD. Its beautiful country and the drive will be an experience (do it during the daylight hrs). But there isn't a lot of nightlife west of Hagerstown, MD (about 2 hrs outside Baltimore).

My advice is (depending on the location of Falling Waters), keep traveling west past Cumberland for an hour and look for nightlife in Morgantown, WV. This is the location of West Virginia University and the nightlife (depending on if students are still around) may be a lot better.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cumberland - help !

Hi! First, be sure to check out the Fallingwater website for their directions. Roads in the Laurel Highlands can be tricky, and Mapquest will sometimes take you on some unpaved roads.

Baltimore to Farmington is only about 3.5 hours. I-68 is an easy, fast road. Since you want an early tour, my suggestion would be to just go and get as close as possible. Post over on the Pennsylvania Forum and ask for advice about where to stay.

My mother-in-law grew up in Cumberland, and it is sadly the butt of most family jokes. :) Nice town, if you like architecture. But there is not much to do.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cumberland - help !

Going to Morgantown will put you too far west for easy access to FallingWater.

(For others-Falling Water is the house Frank Lloyd Wright built for the Kaufmanns from Pittsburgh-the house you see in the pictures over the waterfall.)

8. Re: cumberland - help !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2009, 05:46