We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day shore excursion from DC/Williamsburg

SF
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Topic
2 day shore excursion from DC/Williamsburg

Greetings. I need logistical help evaulating a 2-day jaunt to the Delmarva Peninsula/shore after 4 days in DC and 3 in Williamsburg/Jamestown. We have three kids aged 5 - 11, and after days of museums and culture I'd love to show my West Coast kids either a charming eastern seaboard town and/or beautiful beaches of the Atlantic--no agenda, just hanging out. I've poured thru guidebooks, but am challenged to figure out what makes sense logistically with our schedule.

• I leave Jamestown/Williamsburg at the end of a long busy August Saturday, and need to be back at DC airport midday Tuesday.

• I don't mind doing some driving Saturday evening to reach a great destination.

• Do I have enough time to spend Saturday night thru Tuesday morning at Tilghman Island or Oncanconk, Chincoteague, St. Michaels or Chestertown, etc? If so, any suggestions? (Ocean City does not appeal.)

• I am open to going anywhere, but want to focus on either waterfront charm or natural beauty.

• Am I crazy to think I can include a loop up the Peninsula in such a short time frame?

Another option would be to spend those two days in the Hampton Roads area, or up in Alexandria, etc. We've spent time in Annapolis and Baltimore, so I am hoping for a new waterfront experience and a calmer pace than our DC and Williamsburg visits.

Many, many thanks.

SF
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day shore excursion from DC/Williamsburg

Woops! I meant leave Williamsburg Sunday at end of day and have Sunday night thru Tuesday morning at a seaside destination. If this is impossible, I might give up a DC day or a Wiliamsburg day. I appreciate all wisdom!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day shore excursion from DC/Williamsburg

You will be fine time wise. From Williamsburg you will want to take the Bay Bridge Tunnel to the Delmarva Pennisula. I am not sure about Sunday evening traffic, but distance wise, it is very doable.

Oncanconk and Chinocteague are closer to the Tunnel, but they are much further from the DC airports. Depending on where yuo want to spend your time driving (Sunday evening, or Tuesday morning) could influence your decision on where to stay. St. Michaels and Chestertown would be closer to the DC airports.

I'd also throw Lewes, DE out as an option.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
987 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day shore excursion from DC/Williamsburg

Have you thought about Rock Hall? It has all of the requirements you list. It is VERY small, but wonderfully walkable...an ice cream shop that looks like an old-fashioned soda fountain, a tiny little museum, some antique shops, a beach on the Chesapeake, a seafood restaurant. Here's a bit about the town:

http://www.rockhallmd.com/

It's about 20 minutes away from Chestertown. If you are looking for relaxing and quiet (but still able to walk to meals and ice cream!) this is a good choice.

4. Re: 2 day shore excursion from DC/Williamsburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 06:19