We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naval Academy Graduation May 2011

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Naval Academy Graduation May 2011

Where should we stay and which airport should we pick? Thx!

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
741 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naval Academy Graduation May 2011

Definitely want to fly into BWI. Accomodations - not sure about that. There is whole cottage industry here for people who actually vacate their homes and rent them out for commissioning week. If you're looking at hotels, the Marriott is closest to the Naval Academy. What did you have in mind?

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naval Academy Graduation May 2011

Thx for responding.

We are a family of 5 going for a nephew's graduation. Probably land Fri night and leave Sunday.

I guess that means 5 plane tickets, hotel for 2 nights, and a rent car.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
741 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naval Academy Graduation May 2011

http://www.usna-rent.com/ This is a website for home rentals during commissioning week. There aren't many listings now, but there will be many. The area hotels will be full and very expensive. Just checked the Marriott - they have rooms available, between 400 - 500 per night. When I did a search on kayak.com, the best deal I saw was for the O'Callahan - which is a very nice hotel w/in walking distance to the Naval academy, but not right in the historic harbor area. Kayak did not give a listing for Loews, or for the new Sheraton. Both of which are near the O'Callahan and within walking distance to the Naval Academy. Most other hotels would require you to drive.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
741 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naval Academy Graduation May 2011

I should clarify my prior post re: walking distance. These hotels on West Street are walking distance if it's a nice day and you don't mind a bit of a stroll. Some of the hotels may provide shuttle serve - I'd ask. We have taken the Sheraton Shuttle to the downtown harbor area during winter events. I expect they run during the rest of the year as well, but I am not certain. The only one truly close to the Naval Academy is the Marriott. There are B&Bs nearby as well, but most have age restrictions.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naval Academy Graduation May 2011

Good info. Thx. I went to expedia to look around and I am too early. Can't get info for the end of May 2011. We have 3 athlectic teens. Walking will be no problem. Is there "the"ceremony on Sat? Aren't there celebrations all week? Don't want to miss the main one. Do you know when on Sat it is? Thx.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
741 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naval Academy Graduation May 2011

Sorry - I don't know that information, but I bet you could call the Naval Academy and get that. The Blue Agels fly on Tuesday (Practice) and Wednesday (the main event). The harbor is full of boats - probably 1,000 local boaters take the day off to go see the show. Hope you find the accomodations you're looking for and enjoy the visit. Best of luck to your kin.

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naval Academy Graduation May 2011

Be sure to check out www.annapolisbandb.com as well. You may consider getting a couple rooms in an inn/guest house. Rental homes usually require a week commitment as there are many activities that precede graduation. There are quite a variety of B&B's/Inns that are centrally located in the historic district. Their prices may be higher during that time, but they usually don't escalate them to stratospheric levels like the local hotels.

Car rental may be unnecessary if you are coming in just for commencement. Annapolis is a small historic Capital, that is best navigated by two feet. If you don't plan to leave the area, you will pay to have it sit in a garage or one of the lots, and that would most certainly be an unnecessary expense. One option is to take the Super Shuttle from BWI. Don't be afraid to ask a host/hostess or concierge at any property you look at for advice on this and other inquiries.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naval Academy Graduation May 2011

Didn't know any of that! Thx so much!

California
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Naval Academy Graduation May 2011

Ceremony is Friday, May 27, 2011.

10. Re: Naval Academy Graduation May 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2011, 06:16