We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route around Baltimore...Help!

Cookeville...
5 posts
Save Topic
Best route around Baltimore...Help!

My family will be driving into the Baltimore area on the I-70E. I want to find them a safe and easy route to the Annapolis Bay Bridge.

Mapquest has us going east on I-70 then going south on what looks like the 29...which turns into the 100 traveling below the Baltimore/Washington airport. Then we turn south again on the 2 towards the 301/50 towards the Bay Bridge.

Sorry if this description of the route is rough...I'm not familiar with the area and not sure how to navigate it. Is there any construction along any of those roads to be concerned about? Would you suggest this route?

Thanks for your time and advice. This is the mapquest link to the directions I'm asking about.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Bowling+Green&1s=KY&1y=US&1l=36.990299&1g=-86.443604&1v=CITY&2c=Camden&2s=DE&2y=US&2l=39.1133&2g=-75.542198&2v=CITY

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route around Baltimore...Help!

Only issue is rush hour traffic. There is nothing wrong with this route. Rt 2 has lights for the 10 miles. another option is Rt 97 which is all highway. Time is just about the same but no lights

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
745 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route around Baltimore...Help!

I agree with the above poster, but point out that the alternative Route (97 to Route 50) will put your family on Route 50 in Annapolis -- at Rush hour, this route is usually much worse than Route 2, which will put your family on Route 50 East of the Annapolis traffic jam. That being said, if they are not going to be travelling between 4-7 pm, Route 97 would be a good choice. 97 is not usually a crowded highway, it has a 65 mph speed limit, and is an easy drive. Route 2 is none of those things.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route around Baltimore...Help!

Any route that you take through the area is going to be much worse in the afternoon rush hour, even the 100 / 2 segment is not going to be "easy" (actually with all the lights and 3 lane to 2 lane shifts, I don't think that I ever had an easy drive on Route 2). I would suggest avoiding rush hour if at all possible.

If traveling at non-rush hour, I would take I97 South as opposed to Route 2, either by going the Route 100 course that mapquest is sending you or by taking Route 32 East off of I70 to I97. Personally, I always take Route 32 as opposed to 100, but the are semi parrell routes so it does not make that much difference. You do ride pass the NSA and Fort Meade on Route 32, which may be interesting for you given your military user name.

Edited: 09 September 2010, 14:34
4. Re: Best route around Baltimore...Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2011, 06:47