We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York to Washington DC, Stop Over?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
53 posts
567 reviews
Save Topic
New York to Washington DC, Stop Over?

In mid July, I am travelling with my family (wife and two children in their late teens) from New York City to Washington DC. We have three days to spare in between NYC and Washington. Can anyone give me an idea of a place to stay for the three nights while en route? Are there any nice vacation resorts all really nice areas with decent hotels that we could relax in? After five days in New York we could do with a place to chill out before heading into Washington. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,823 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York to Washington DC, Stop Over?

I assume you will be driving?

You might want to look into Cape May, NJ. From there you could take the ferry to Lewes, DE and Rehoboth, DE. Then head down to Ocean City, MD before driving to Washington, DC on route 50. Either town is worth staying for a day or two to relax.

Or you could skip Cape May and just head to the DE beaches and OC.

These places are probably 2-3 hrs out of the way, though...depending on how much you want to divert from I-95.

Your call.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York to Washington DC, Stop Over?

My #1 choice would be Cape May.

Other choices include Poconos (number of resorts to explore), Hershey Park/Gettysburg), St Michael's or Annapolis, MD.

Greenbrier Resort in W VA.

All depends on interests and budget.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
53 posts
567 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York to Washington DC, Stop Over?

Thank you all for your help, Cape May looks great!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York to Washington DC, Stop Over?

Make your reservations early for Cape May. A really special place to stay (read expensive) is Congress Hall. But even if you don't stay there be sure to visit.Very nice restaurants and a neat bar.

Also, every sunset there is a flag lowering at Cape May Point with the flag having been provided by a deceased veteran's family.

It is a very poignant ceremony and not to be missed.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
53 posts
567 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York to Washington DC, Stop Over?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

Baltimore...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New York to Washington DC, Stop Over?

Try Deal Island.

ww.https://dealislandvacatinrentals.com

Baltimore...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New York to Washington DC, Stop Over?

Consider Deal Island

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
53 posts
567 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York to Washington DC, Stop Over?

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York to Washington DC, Stop Over?

Patricia

I am intrigued. Why Deal Island? Not being familiar with it, I did some research and there are almost no hotels or motels there.

Also, the website you attempted to provide is not spelled correctly.

Is this a website you are connected to since you just joined apparently for the purpose of making this recommendation?

10. Re: New York to Washington DC, Stop Over?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 04:41