We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Michael's for a romantic getaway?

New Jersey
13 posts
Save Topic
St. Michael's for a romantic getaway?

I'm looking for a nice weekend away for our anniversary. I came across St. Michael's on the web. Is it as quaint and nice as it looks? Any other places to recommend instead?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,090 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Michael's for a romantic getaway?

The photos don't lie, St. Michaels is a good choice for what you're looking for.

Other formerly quaint and nice parts of the Eastern Shore are now overrun with vacation home developments. We didn't see much of this in the area on our last visit to St. Michaels (2004).

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
418 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Michael's for a romantic getaway?

St. Michael's is a great weekend getaway. Just enough to see, but not at all overwhelming. We take frequent day trips when the weather is nice. I don't know how much money is an issue but the Inn At Perry Cabin is supposed to be a wonderful hotel. It's very expensive but very worth it from what I hear. I think they have a website. But there are a lot of B&Bs.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Michael's for a romantic getaway?

I briefly drove through some adjacent areas a few months ago and it is lovely. If only I had the time this summer to squeeze in a B&B weekend there. Let me know what you think of it.

Hmm, maybe, I could go there instead of camping at Assateaugue with my guy. (Guess who isn't the keenest on camping in this duo, ha.)

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
10 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Michael's for a romantic getaway?

My husband and I just spent several days at the Inn at Perry Cabin. St. Michaels is a cute town and the Inn is very nice. The room was not really luxurious, but very spacious and well-furnished and definitely not a cookie-cutter-chain hotel. We stayed there primarily since they allow dogs (for a fee) in some of the rooms, and it's hard to find better places that accept dogs. The Inn is right next door door to the Chesapeake Bay Museum and a few blocks walk to the shops. Not sure if the price is worth it, but it was a very peaceful vacation. The dining room was quite expensive, probably overpriced.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Michael's for a romantic getaway?

Thanks for the tip. We are actually planning a trip this weekend for beach/camping but Assateague won out. Hopefully I can try the inn in St. Michael next time. :)

British living in PA
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Michael's for a romantic getaway?

My husband and I went to St. Michaels for the first time two weekends ago and I can thoroughly recommend it for your anniversary break.

We stayed in a couple of hotels as our first choice didn't quite live up to their flashy internet site, but we found a welcome replacement at Five Gables Inn and Spa. I can recommend their 2 person whirlpool tubs. We tried some of the spa facilities, but weren't that impressed. The pool was small and in need of refurbishment and the sauna didn't seem to work. Saying that the hotel room was very comfortable and if that is what you're interested in, then you can't go wrong.

There are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance, although check for opening hours. With a short drive you can be in Easton which offers more restaurants and shopping, or there is Tilghman Island which is a quieter, more tranquil area without the chintzy shops.

The area is very flat and perfect for biking. You can borrow a bike from some of the hotels and down by the marina. There are also a couple of places where you can hire a boat or canoe, so you can venture out on to the bay, or if you're not comfortable with handling your own boat there are pre-organised excursions.

If you are looking for a cheaper hotel, we also stayed a night at The Tidewater Inn in Easton. It cost about half the price of Five Gables and the service was great. It was comfortable and quiet and a notch above the no frills hotels at a similar price. There is also a spa nextdoor if you're interested in a spot of pampering.

Hope you have a great time wherever you end up.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Michael's for a romantic getaway?

artysmartie, thanks for your review and all the details. :) I appreciate that you took the time to write all that up. Definitely thanks on the heads up about the pool and spa being less than stellar.

Sadly I don't know when my bf and I are going to make it out there as the weather has been downright chilly for late May across the last few weekends and we're booked up later in the season.

British living in PA
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Michael's for a romantic getaway?

I don't know if it helps, but we went down last weekend as well (we're hooked!). We left PA in the pouring rain and arrived in St. Michaels in beautiful sunshine! I say take the risk - you won't be disappointed! :)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Michael's for a romantic getaway?

Well, it is really a time issue with us. We've got so much going on this summer that we can't even seem to squeeze in day trips which is just quite a shame.

His preference first and foremost is camping, so it is hard to pitch St. Michaels over camping on the beact at Assateague island.

10. Re: St. Michael's for a romantic getaway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 22:17