We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussies traveling somewhere in Maryland

Melbourne
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Aussies traveling somewhere in Maryland

Hi All

We are a family of five who are visiting USA East Coast in Dec 13 and will be needing to go to Durham Nth Vig for one night and will be driving back to Washington DC. We plan to make this a 4 day trip and have a look around . We have 3 nights where we can drive and stay in one or two places and are really looking for the smaller towns with something to do when in winter . We are not overly active as my wife has a knee condition so we are looking for quaint towns with nice B&B or hotels that can sleep 5 ( 2 rooms ) and love good food .

We have studied Maryland and think that Cape Charles and St Micheal's are likely candidates however we don't want to spend all the time in car driving from place to place .

We are interested in Civil war history somewhat but love quirky things we would not see in Australia .

Hopefully you may have some suggestions .

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussies traveling somewhere in Maryland

Nth vig? Skip cape Charles. I have lived in Maryland for 30 years and have managed to do so. Civil war sites are mostly in central Maryland. Antietam is in Maryland but Harper's ferry which is in West VA and Gettysburg in PA are very close by. Annapolis is a very historic city to visit with the naval academy. I love st Michael's but unless you boat, not much to do except shop and eat. Nice views but long way to go andyour time is better spent elsewhere.

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussies traveling somewhere in Maryland

Considering the time you are traveling, I think neslaw is right. St. Michaels is a sleepy town that comes alive in the summer. Annapolis is great year round, and has many sights, shops, restaurants, historical homes etc. Even though it is the Capital of Maryland, it has no high rises just cobblestone streets that lead to the waters edge. If you get rooms within the historical center, there is no need for a car as everything is within walking distance. On December 14 this year, the annual holiday boat parade will be held which is a great experience. Tons of folks gather near the harbor at night to see all kinds of boats float by decorated for the Christmas season. Fireworks go off at the conclusion of the parade. A super local event.

If you use Annapolis as your home base, Frederick, Antietam, Harper's Ferry are all an easy day trip (from 45 minute drive to 1 hour and 45) to visit civil war sights. www.visitannapolis.org

Edited: 09 April 2013, 14:10
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussies traveling somewhere in Maryland

My suggestion's a Skyline Drive route with Harper's Ferry WV then Luray or another cavern and on to Charlottesville and Staunton, VA. They're a bit out of your way to Durham, but not much so by Aussie standards.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussies traveling somewhere in Maryland

Thanks everyone for your great advice .

The Skyline drive sounds great , unsure how much of it will be open during December due to snow etc .We cannot spend all day on the road ( three teenagers and no internet OMG)

We plan to drive to Skyway from Durham and then onto Staunton and find a place to stay .

Does any one now how long this trip would take and is it worth stopping halfway and stay in town on Skyway or drive off skyway and find a place to stay ?

near Washington DC
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussies traveling somewhere in Maryland

If you have time, go to Gettysburg but it is a bit out of the way

Frederick MD (30 miles north of Washington DC) has a great Civil War Medical Museum. http://www.civilwarmed.org/

Southwest (maybe 20 miles) to Harpers Ferry, WV sounds like your place (historic and quirky). It is an historical preserved town with some good food. I can't speak to the lodging but there are several B&Bs nearby. The website doesn't do it justice but it helps. http://www.historicharpersferry.com/

west to Winchester, VA is a beautiful town in the Shenandoah Valley. This also puts you back on I81 to North Carolina.

Skyline Drive would be a great choice if the fall leaves were changing. It is a 35 mph drive along the crest of a 100 mile ridge. But you're 4+ weeks after this. I wouldn't worry too much about snow. Luray Caverns is always nice but you'll need a winter coat if you are to be below ground level in December.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussies traveling somewhere in Maryland

Totally not true about temps in cavern. It stays. 54 degrees year round. But totally with visiting

near Washington DC
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussies traveling somewhere in Maryland

Just googled it and neslaw1 is exactly right.

One of our several trips there was in October and we weren't prepared with winter clothing. It is funny how our memory of things in the past are magnified.

While I think Harpers Ferry is a gem, it may not be the place for a person with a "knee condition." The main street is a rather steep walk. But it has history, trains, scenery, good food and even a ghost tour.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussies traveling somewhere in Maryland

If you are looking for a quaint, picturesque town and Civil War history, I recommend staying in Frederick, and using it as a base to explore Antietam (close by), as well as Gettysburg and Harpers Ferry (both less than 1 hour away).

Melbourne
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussies traveling somewhere in Maryland

Hi Everyone

You guys are great and your help is invaluable .

I think the best trip would be drive from Durham to Richmond , get a hotel and then those who want to drive down to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel ( which I just have to drive over ) and then next day drive via Skyline , stopping at caverns , and then onto Harpers Ferry or Fredrick for two nights before heading to Washington .

I suppose this should be in Virginia forum now as we are almost skipping Maryland

Thanks again

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussies traveling somewhere in Maryland

You come here for opinions so hope you don't mind a dissenting one. This sounds miserable. Just make sure you get a really comfortable car because the inside is about all you are going to see of the USA. You won't have time to stop in Williamsburg and visit some of the best historical sites and will be spending some hours driving through some of the most boring scenery (Eastern shore of MD). Originally, you said you don't want to do exactly what you have accomplished.