We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing for Family

ellicott city, md
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing for Family

Hello,

I am looking for some ski options that are within a few hours of Ellicott City (near Baltimore). We are a family of 6, 2 teens and 2 elementary schoolers. The teens would enjoy beginner slopes. The other 2 are 7 and 9 and have never skied. We would like a place that offers a positive ski school experience. A resort with tubing would add to the fun once the kids are tired of skiing.

We are also considering an over night stay and would appreciate any lodging suggestions. Most important would be ease of getting to the resort (maybe even a property at the resort if not outrageous) and offers a clean environment.

Thanks,

VC

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
239 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing for Family

The Wisp Ski resort in Deep Creek, MD fits all of your needs.

ellicott city, md
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing for Family

And to add to my original post ...

Not as important, but since I don't ski a nice lodge area for me to hang out in would be a plus,

Thanks again.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing for Family

Ski Liberty in PA, not far from Emmitsburg, MD is about 1.5 hours. You can try a day trip and see how it goes. Weekends can be pretty crowded.

http://www.libertymountainresort.com/

Whitetail Ski Resort northwest of Hagerstown, MD is also about 1.5 hours

from Ellicott City.

https://www.skiwhitetail.com/winter

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing for Family

Wisp is certainly the largest resort around (only one in MD). Whitetail isn't much of a destination to me but there are probably some rentals in the development right next door. Otherwise, haven't really paid attention to hotel/motels as it is a daytrip. Hagarstown is closest large town.

If a few hours is between 2-5 then on the further range you could look at the Poconos. Haven't been in while but they are larger than the local resorts. Or even better consider Snowshoe in WV which is a much larger resort and about 5 hours away. Never gave my kids lessons locally so can't comment. Positive experience depends on the kids and the specific instructor.

ellicott city, md
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing for Family

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I didn't think day-trip but that may be the better idea. Why spend the extra on an overnight stay?? Thanks

6. Re: Skiing for Family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:22