We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop en route from Hershey, PA to DC

United States
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stop en route from Hershey, PA to DC

Driving from Hershey PA to DC on the late afternoon of Easter Sunday.

Thoughts on best route and possible place to stop for dinner (doesn't have to be an "Easter dinner"...just an interesting or yummy stop)?

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop en route from Hershey, PA to DC

83 to Baltimore and dine in Little Italy, assuming they're open and have a table available on Easter Sunday. Or via Frederick, maybe Volt.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
51 posts
472 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop en route from Hershey, PA to DC

Definitely take 83, all the way into Baltimore City.

I'd recommend The Helmand, great Afghan restaurant in midtown Baltimore off 83 - the Guilford Avenue exit is very close. Afghan might sound weird, but it's really delicious. Check out reviews if you'd like.

If you decide Little Italy is better, try Chiapparelli's or Amicci's.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop en route from Hershey, PA to DC

McCormick and Schmick which is right on water in Baltimore.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stop en route from Hershey, PA to DC

Have you considered taking US 15 through Gettysburg and picking up I-270 in Frederick? Several good choices for dinner in Gettysburg, and it would be interesting.

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stop en route from Hershey, PA to DC

Friendly Farms is off 83 in Upperco MD ; they have delicious fried chicken and crab cakes served family style. http://friendlyfarm.net/

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stop en route from Hershey, PA to DC

Friendly Farm is a great suggestion for no-frills homestyle fare, but like most everywhere else with a family-focused customer base (including Little Italy), Sundays at FF normally are very busy. I have to think Easter will be a major circus with incredibly long waits. If you have kids (and the weather is decent), they'll probably enjoy running around the grounds while you wait.

It's also very popular with seniors. I mention that only because I've taken my kids and/or in-laws numerous times (and wouldn't hesitate to to do so in the future)--but it's just not the kind of vibe we (as a middle-aged couple) would be looking for without them in tow. Just my own $0.02, YMMV.

I've never been to the Helmand, but ethnic food may be the way to go if you want to avoid the Easter crowds wherever you are.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stop en route from Hershey, PA to DC

Or even better if the weather's good, pick up a picnic to go, take the I-270 route, and picnic a few minutes upmountain in Catoctin Nat'l Park.

Pasadena MD
Level Contributor
49 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stop en route from Hershey, PA to DC

If you decide to do Frederick and Volt, you definitely need a reservation or you won't get near the place. There are many wonderful restaurants in Baltimore these days depending on what you are looking for. I would recommend reservations for any of them being Easter. Rusty Scupper is over the water at the Inner Harbor with a parking garage. Food is good but maybe not the best in town; however, the location is convenient and nice. McCormick & Schmick on the other side of the Inner Harbor on the water also good. Inner Harbor East is a new and upcoming area with lots of good restaurants. My favorites are Oceanaire Seafood Room for steaks and seafood, Ouzo Bay for Greek, Talara or Pazo for Spanish tapas, Wit & Wisdom in the Four Seasons Hotel -- all are on the expensive side. In Canton is Blue Hill Tavern with free valet parking. As someone else mentioned, in Little Italy Amiccis is also my place to go. There are many more just as good but google these and see what you think. For ease of traveling, Inner Harbor East is at the end of 83 as it intersects with the city. All of these however are around the harbor and easy to navigate with a GPS. All have great atmosphere but Rusty Scupper also has a view. I would make reservations for all of them on Easter. Enjoy!

9. Re: Stop en route from Hershey, PA to DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:16