We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

late september - new york , boston and .......?

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
late september - new york , boston and .......?

Dear all

Am travelling from UK to see Red Sox play the Yankees during last weekend of the season ( 26/27 Sept) at Fenway. Due to flights we are likely to fly into New York - am wondering whether we should tack on a few days before heading to Boston , so driving from New York north or whether to grab a train from NYC to Boston and then stay on to explore Mass/ Maine for a week or so, flying back to UK out of Boston. Would really appreciate recommendations of where we should go at that time of year- is the weather going to be too cold to enjoy Cape Cod/ Martha's vineyard ( and if not is driving from New York and stopping off best or is driving out of New York too stressful ?) If so ,wher eelse is sspectcular that time of year - 'New England in the fall' is the well worn phrase - but what does that mean ?

Essentially I suppose the question is whether heading out from Boston for a week and then back is best or whether exploring between the two big cities is best. We would be looking for great countryside/ memorable places, decent places to stay ( but not too stuffy ) and great food.

all help/views welcome , thanks !

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: late september - new york , boston and .......?

What do YOU want to do or see? From NYC to Boston is a 4 hour drive so you have all sorts of possibilities. You need to provide some framework so that we can better answer you.

AlanM

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: late september - new york , boston and .......?

Hi

I am qutie a keen photographer so would want to see some spectacular scenery or views,do a bit of walking ( no more than day hiking though ) visit places of cultural interest/quirky places , ideally see a decent standard minor league baseball game in a good old fashioned stadium with friendly locals( just dont tell my girlfriend ! ), eat well ( and ideally quintessentially New Engalnd food ), stay in quality non chain hotels and generally come away feekling that this is a stunningly beautiful, funky yet relaxing area which I should have explored before now.

I can do the frenetic city stuff in Boston and New York so relaxing vibe with breathtaking beauty ( whether coastal or inland or a combination) are order of the day. All of the guide books go on about Cape Cod/ Martha's Vineyard area, but am I wasting my time at the end of September ? I assume whale watching etc are out of season by that time.

does that help you to help me ?!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: late september - new york , boston and .......?

You certainly wouldn't be wasting your time on the Cape in September. It's actually great weather then - sorry, could be great weather.

But it sounds like you would also like traveling through the Berkshires in western Massachusetts. Great hiking, beautiful scenery, cute little towns. Think you'd really enjoy it.

AlanM

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: late september - new york , boston and .......?

Thanks for the recommendation. Any decent websites or guidebbooks you can recommend I look at? Any stand out places we simply must visit ?

Thanks again

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: late september - new york , boston and .......?

Places to see include Lee, Stockbridge, and Great Barrington and the areas around them.

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: late september - new york , boston and .......?

any chance of a minor league game or am I dreaming ?!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: late september - new york , boston and .......?

Our triple a minor league team is The PawSox and are in Rhode Island. I think the web is pawsox.com

This is a great take and fairly inexpensive. If you drive from N.Y. the stadium is off 95.

I believe the Yankees have a double a team in New Britian, Ct. You can check that out at yankees.com.

I do not think driving from New York is stressful.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: late september - new york , boston and .......?

Sorry..minor league ball is over by September 1.

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: late september - new york , boston and .......?

Since my original post I have done a little more reading and am also considering travelling to the white mountains or Acadia National park - which I understand are in different directions !

I have about 7 days out of Boston to play with.

Am I best to go for one of the two( assuming that trying to do both would be too much )? In terms of beautiful scenery,good places to stay and food, plus avoiding crowds in late Sept/early Oct , which is best ?

How long a drive out of Boston are they ? If better to break the journey I was thinking of a night in Portland ( if go for Acadia ) but unsure where if I go for White Mountains. Any thoughts /recs ?

What are recs on places to stay, in either area ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Boston...
Level Contributor
279 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: late september - new york , boston and .......?

I drove up to the White Mountains today to pick my daughter up from ski camp. The drive took two hours each way, but I started out a bit north of the city. The scenery up there would be very nice at the end of September, since you would be fully into the leaf season. That may be a tad bit too early for the peak of the season (unless you head into the far northern part of NH/Maine) but the scenery should be spectacular anyway.

I think the drive from the Conway area over to Portland would take another hour or so. I want to say it would take another two or three hours of driving to get over to the Acadia area. A similar amount of time heading west will put you out in the Green Mountains of Vermont, which are also very pretty in the fall.

Those few weeks in the fall leaf season more than make up for the sometimes miserable conditions in the area the rest of the year. The combination of the colors of the trees and the lighting when the sun is low on the horizon can produce some breathtaking moments. The best color early in the season will be up in VT/NH/ME, so I'd probably take the train from NY to Boston (which is also a scenic ride in many places), see the games, and then head north. But I'm someone who definitely prefers spending time out in the country rather than in a big city!