We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to see Lexington and Concord..using public transp

missouri
13 posts
Save Topic
best way to see Lexington and Concord..using public transp

Hello again...I am just full of questions, everyone has been so helpful...Thank you. We are interested in going to Lexington and Concord. Found a bus tour but not sure if it will give me the time I want to see everything. I want to tour Alcott home. Is there a fairly easy way to go using public transportation or would the bus tour be the best option? Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to see Lexington and Concord..using public transp

There is a train which goes to Concord. Concord is spread out and the bus tour trumps the train. I believe nothing of ease will take you to Lexington.

These are great places to see and drivng is easy if you are feeling the bus is not giving enough time.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to see Lexington and Concord..using public transp

You can tour some of Concord via public transportation but it will require walking or biking to see some of the sites. To do it:

-Take the Fitchburg Line Commuter Rail to Concord Center stop (not the West Concord stop) see www.mbta.com

-There are walking tours that leave from the visitor center located a short walk from the train.

concordchamberofcommerce.org/…tours

There are also bike tours (or you can rent your own bike and do your own route if you are fit enough!):

www.concordbiketours.com/#anchorAuthorsTour

Or you can simply walk to Orchard House:

www.louisamayalcott.org/directions.html

According to the web site it is a 20 minute walk from the train stop.

Or there is another group offering walking tours:

http://www.concordguides.com/

Hope this helps!

Boston...
Level Contributor
279 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to see Lexington and Concord..using public transp

Is a rental car out of the question? You really do not have that many good options for using public transportation, especially if you want to visit both Lexington and Concord on the same day. The center of the two towns is only six miles apart, but there is no connecting transportation. As others have mentioned, Concord is on the rail line, but Lexington is on a separate bus line. You would have to go all the way back into Cambridge to get between the two by using public transportation. Taxis aren't really an option either, since I don't recall ever seeing many around in either town.

4. Re: best way to see Lexington and Concord..using public transp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 14:23