We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From South Dakota first trip to New England

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
From South Dakota first trip to New England

Flying into Boston on Sept 20th. Need to visit an aunt in RI the first day and night. After that we have no idea as to what to do. Want to go to CT. Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and then back to Boston. If you had one day in each of these states, what would be the best places to go and see?

We hope to be back in Boston by friday the 26th, going to a Red sox game on Sat. Flying back home very early sunday morning. Better to stay close to the ballpark or close to airport?

I really need your help.

Thank you

Karen

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From South Dakota first trip to New England

That could be a whirlwind tour, but it's doable.

Off the top of my head (without really researching this to see if it's doable):

In Connecticut: Mystic Seaport.

In Vermont: great time of year to be in Vermont. Drive to Burlington on I-89, spend the night, then drive across New Hampshire on smaller roads, possibly stop at Bretton Woods for the night, see Mount Washington.

Drive to Bar Harbor in Maine for the night. Drive up Mount Desert in the National Park in the evening before sunset.

Drive to Boston. I hope you have tickets to the game already.

It doesn't really matter if your hotel is near the airport or Fenway. You probably want to drop off your car when you get to Boston anyway, so drop off your car wherever and take taxis or public transportation in Boston.

Boston
Level Contributor
381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From South Dakota first trip to New England

I think Bar Harbor is too far away for one night. I'd stay in Ogunquit, York, or somewhere else in midcoast Maine.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: From South Dakota first trip to New England

This is an unfair question, lol. It's unfair because I wouldn't only stay one night in these towns. But if I could somehow snap my fingers and be home instantly without driving, my choices would be..

Rhode Island: Newport

Connecticut: Do I have to go? OK, Mystic

Vermont: Woodstock

New Hampshire: Tough call here, Bartlett

Maine: Bar Harbor

Maasachusetts: Boston

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: From South Dakota first trip to New England

If I were you, I would just spend a couple nights in Newport, a couple nights in Cape Cod and the last three nights in Boston. I realize you don't get to see northern New England, but you don't want your trip to be all driving and no relaxation. Save Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine for another time.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From South Dakota first trip to New England

If you are doign a whirl wind tour I would rein in the distances and do a mini loop. The extreme must sees of the states are on the outside loop but there are nicer locations closer in.

Where in RI will you be?

To answer your request:

CT - Mystic (Great town but I would skip it to make trip more fun)

http://www.mystic.org/

Drive 2 hr 37 min

NH - Monadnock Region/Peterborough

Drive 1 hr 52 min

VT - Woodstock

Drive 2hr 49 min(portland) 2hr 40 min(Keenebunkport)

ME - Portland or Kennebunkport

Drive 1 Hr 37 min

MA - Boston

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From South Dakota first trip to New England

I would also skip Connecticut but my sense is that tripletrt wants to check off as many states as possible, which is why I suggested Mystic Seaport.

The distances really aren't that great. I think for some reason those of us who live here tend to overestimate how far away places in New England are. I know I've been amazed at how quickly you can do a circuit from Boston to Bennington (VT) to Lincoln (NH) to Bar Harbor and back to Boston.

At the end of September the place to be is northern New England, not Rhode Island or Cape Cod.

Here's a possible itinerary:

Visit your Aunt in Rhode Island on September 20th.

September 21st, drive 4 1/2 hours to Burlington, VT.

September 22nd, drive 2 1/2 hours to Bretton Woods, NH.

September 23rd, drive 5 1/2 hours to Bar Harbor, ME, spend two nights there.

September 25th, drive 5 hours to Boston.

That may sound like a lot of driving but it's beautiful country.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From South Dakota first trip to New England

Thomas, I agree that these places are beautiful. I have no issue making the drive to any of them if I am spending a week or even a long weekend in any of them. It's the one day only issue. By the time you get there, you won't have any time to enjoy the local attractions. Your point that the drives are stuning with scenery is a good one.

Your listing the drive times to those locals is a good comparison to my list. Thanks for providing those.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From South Dakota first trip to New England

I agree 100% with Thomas144. I would skip CT for sure and after leaving RI I'd head right up north. You just can't go wrong with VT and NH. See Mt. Washington if you can. Spend two days in each spot. Enjoy your time in New England. Take in the scenery.

If you can fit Maine in for a few days do it. If you can't it'll give you a reason to return.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From South Dakota first trip to New England

You can also book the Hampton Inn in Revere or the Holiday Inn on your last night. They have a shuttle right to the airport.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: From South Dakota first trip to New England

I just want to thank everyone for the helpful suggestions. This gives me some very good ideas.

thanks again