We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- New England Days 2 , 3, & 4

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report- New England Days 2 , 3, & 4

June 26th- Took the Jersey turnpike through the Bronx to Connecticut and Massachusetts. TOOK FOREVER!!!! It took 6 hours for what should have been a 3 1/2 hour drive. Went to Dr Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden in Springfield, MA. It was a nice (free) diversion if you are a fan. On to Plymouth. Due to the morning's delays, we got there too late for Plymouth Plantation and Mayflower (again, even in the summer, everything closes early). The area covering Plymouth Rock was under construction, so in order to see the actual rock, we had to go down a path and zoom in wiith the camera. My daughter was happy seeing the Mayflower and not going on. We stopped in Sharon to see the statue of Deborah Sampson, as my daughter had done a report on her. She is considered the first woman soldier. During the Revolutionary War, she dressed as a man to join the fight. Paul Revere later successfully petitioned Congress to get her full military benefits. We drove into Boston and had a wonderful dinner at Durgin Park. We roamed around, went by the Old State House, where the Declaration of Independence was first read to the people of Boston, stopped in the Omni Parker House for Parker House rolls and Boston Cream Pie to go. Then on to Peabody, 20 minutes from Boston to stay at the Hampton. This topped off a not very pleasant day. If you miss the entrance, which, in the dark, we did, the is nowhere to turn around forever. You cannot cross this horrible road except for cross-overs every 20 miles or so.

June 27th- Got to Boston to be there when the Old South Meeting House opened for tours. Walked a few blocks to the Granary Burial Ground. Paul Revere is buried there, among others of the era. We were very interested in the skulls with wings on the top of many headstones. I do not know there significance, so if anyone does, please share. As one member of our party cannot walk long distances, we drove over and parked behind the Old North Church ("One if by land, two if by sea"). We walked through Paul Revere Mall with the statue of Paul riding away on horseback, to the Old North Church. We then walked to Pizzeria Regina for FABULOUS pizza, and stopped by Mike's Bakery for canoli's for later. We continued to Concord and the Minuteman National Park. Walked across the North Bridge, the sight of the "shot heard 'round the world". Drove on to Salem. Decided upon the Witch Dungeon Museum from the many choices. Went in expecting a very cheesey, but it was much better than expected. After a very informative reenacment, we were led into the dungeon. Even my 13 year old was a little scared. Planned to have dinner at the Rockmore, but unable to locate the lift, and calls were unanswered, Grabbed a bite somewhere local. Back to Peabody for the night, we knew how to navigate the stupid road now.

June 28th- 8:30am whale watching tour with 7 Seas in Gloucester. We had to wait for a tour bus to arrive so didn't leave until closer to 9:30, but were still back on time. The day was foggy and cold, so we only saw two whales, plus one minke whale. But it was still very exciting to be so close to the massive animals. And foggy is what I expect when I think of being on a boat in New England. We stopped by the Fisherman's Memorial and headed for Maine.

We stopped on the way Wiscasset at Red's for lobster rolls. We are not big fans of mayo, so these rolls, pretty much mounds of lobster with a side of clarified butter, were fabulous. We stayed at the Holiday Inn at Bar Harbor and had a lovely room with a balcony overlooking the water. It was usually to foggy to see the water, but even that was beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Bronx
Bronx
New York
Connecticut
Connecticut
United States
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden
Dr. Seuss National...
378 Reviews
Springfield, MA
Springfield
Springfield
Massachusetts
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Mayflower Beach
Mayflower Beach
243 Reviews
Dennis, MA
Plymouth Rock
Plymouth Rock
1,855 Reviews
Plymouth, MA
Revere
Revere
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Durgin Park
Durgin Park
1,055 Reviews
Boston, MA
Old State House
Old State House
1,054 Reviews
Boston, MA
Omni Parker House
Omni Parker House
8,473 Reviews
Boston, MA
Parker New York
Parker New York
5,831 Reviews
New York City, NY
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Old South Meeting House
Old South Meeting House
226 Reviews
Boston, MA
Paul Revere Mall
Paul Revere Mall
75 Reviews
Boston, MA
Regina Pizzeria
Regina Pizzeria
2,316 Reviews
Boston, MA
Concord
Concord
Massachusetts
North Bridge
North Bridge
573 Reviews
Concord, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Witch Dungeon Museum
Witch Dungeon Museum
600 Reviews
Salem, MA
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
New England
New England
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report- New England Days 2 , 3, & 4

Nice trip report! Learned something reading it. Didn't know about the Deborah Sampson statue (Another tidbit of Mass history) or the Dr Seuss park.

Sorry for the terrible state of the roads here. They are in bad condition because the Big Dig took all the money and also having to repave them every few years due to the snowy weather -- I am afraid that is what all the money is spent on. No extra money for signs or logical road design!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report- New England Days 2 , 3, & 4

Check this web page on the Colonial Williamsburg site for meaning of cemetery symbols:

history.org/History/teaching/glossary2.cfm

According to the site, skulls with wings represent "Flight of the soul from mortal man".

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report- New England Days 2 , 3, & 4

Thank you SO much for the info on the headstones. My daughter and I were totally enthralled. And thank you for your kind words. :)

4. Re: Trip Report- New England Days 2 , 3, & 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 03:16