We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip or overnight getaway for the girls

waltham, ma
12 posts
Save Topic
Daytrip or overnight getaway for the girls

A friend of mine will be visiting in September from NY. I am trying to think of a place we could go for the day or possibly overnight that's not too far from Boston. We've been to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. So far I've thought of Portsmouth, NH but would welcome any other suggestions. Looking for a quaint or pretty place that offers a nice town, good food, shopping and maybe outdoor activiites.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrip or overnight getaway for the girls

I see a coastal theme between the three places you mentioned. With that in mind, I'd suggest you consider Rockport or Newburyport. You can easily reach either town on the commuter rail from North Station. Or if driving you can take 128 all the way from Waltham to Rockport, or turn on 95 north at Peabody to reach Newburyport. Having personal transportation would enable you to venture forth from those destinations to neighboring areas (Ipswich, Gloucester, etc - numerous towns with their own attractions.) Whichever town you choose, you'll find a laid-back and tourist-friendly atmosphere and shops galore. When it's time to eat, think about fried clams. That's the North Shore's claim to gustatory fame. Woodman's, in the town of Essex, is the classic place to go. The Clam Box in Ipswich has a following. A personal favorite is called East Side and is just off Route 1A in Rowley. (If you head there, have no shame in asking directions; it's easy to miss if you don't know when to watch for the turnoff from the main road.) Or just stroll Newburyport or Rockport and read menus in restaurant windows. I've never been to a bad place up that way yet.

I'm more into food and historic sites than shopping when I go out of town somewhere. Maybe it's a guy thing, but if you're of like mind why not take a short drive or train ride to Concord? There are some nice stores there, but not many. For a meal your alternatives in the center of town are pretty much either Brigham's (not that there's anything wrong with that) or yuppie restaurants (not that's there's anything wrong with that either.) The best eating place I've found around Concord is an upscale Chinese restaurant out on Route 2 close by what I think is now a Best Western but was once a Howard Johnson's. Of course Concord's main draw is all the American Revolution and colonial sights. The Alcott House, Old North Bridge...

Check in here after your expedition and let me know what you did and how it went.

Edison, NJ
Level Contributor
139 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrip or overnight getaway for the girls

We're sorry, we removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Edison, NJ
Level Contributor
139 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrip or overnight getaway for the girls

We're sorry, we removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Hanson...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytrip or overnight getaway for the girls

Try Plymouth! Plenty of all you have asked about...restaurants, shopping, outdoor/indoor and water activities. Just about an hour south of Boston.