We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England travel

Belfast, Northern...
8 posts
Save Topic
New England travel

Hi, my wife and I are travelling around New England by car for 10 days at the start of September. Can anyone make a recommendation on where we should go? We will start in Boston & finish in White Plains.

Thanks

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England travel

What are some of your interests and where are you staying and for how long? My wife and I spent 12 days driving in N. Ireland and had a great time.

Williamstown, MA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: New England travel

You should travel to Williamstown, in the northeast corner of Massachussetts. It is a beautiful place in the Berkshire mountains and is the home of more high powered cultural activities than most big cities as well as first rate hiking and sight-seeing, shopping and restaurants--all in a town of 8,000 residents. By all means have at least one meal at Mezze, and don't miss The Clark Art Museum--it is fabulous! Happy travels!

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New England travel

I agree with the previous post about Williamstown, but would include all of Berkshire County ( the western most county in Massachussetts). Towns of interest in addition to Williamstown would be North Adams - Mass MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art), Lanesborough to Adams for the rail trail (paved 11 mile long bike/hiking trail), Hancock - Jiminy Peak alpine slide and views, Mount Greylock - tallest Mountain in Mass, has auto road to top), Lee - outlet shopping, Lenox, Great Barrington, Stockbridge for museums (Norman Rockwell for one), antiquing, Other local towns for hiking, golfing, etc.

One note of clarrification though... Williamstown is in the North WEST part of Massachussetts... not north east.

Have a great trip!

Westernmass

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England travel

With ten days, you have sufficient time to travel through the three northern states of the region: Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. I'd start at Acadia National Park for a day or two, then Portland and the southern coastline (including Freeport, Ogunquit, and Kennebunkport - plus the Kittery Outlets if you're prone to fits of shopping.) Finish off the coastal trek in Portsmouth, then head north/northwest along Route 16 to see the White Mountains. Cross over to Vermont to take in the Northeast Kingdom and Barre and Montpelier (the USA's smallest capital city and the only one without a McDonald's) en route to Burlington. Then from Burlington, journey south on US Route 7 with a stop in Manchester - at least - until you reach Williamstown, MA, the northern gateway to the Berkshires. Devote several days to the Berkshires, with potential destinations including the Mass. Museum of Contemporary Art in North Adams, Mount Greylock, Hancock Shaker Village, the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, and the Bartholomew's Cobble nature preserve in Great Barrington. If time allows, also swing by Bash Bish Falls in Massachusetts' smallest-population town: Mt Washington. You'd want to continue into New York via Route 23, which traverses Great Barrington and is a nice rural drive. Once in New York, the connecting roads south are I-87 (fast) and US Routes 9 and 9W (slower - the "scenic route" - through Rhinebeck, New Paltz, etc.)

You'll be in the region during a nice "window" between the summer crowds and the leaf-peepers.