We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC to Boston 13 day road trip with 2 toddlers

Coleraine, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
DC to Boston 13 day road trip with 2 toddlers

Hi, I'm trying to plan a summer holiday for my family, and am overwhelmed by the possibilities! I'd really appreciate any advice on itinerary or places to stay. (I'm posting this in a number of forums)

We're travelling with our 2 small sons - eldest will be 3 by then and the younger just 18 months. They're both pretty well travelled, but we will be looking to stay in apartments/houses or suites as previous experience has proved staying in a regular hotel room is not really a holiday!

I'm pretty fixed on the idea of flying into Dulles and out of Boston - but what to so in between is the confusing factor. So far I'm considering Shenandoah, Lancaster PA, Baltimore, Hyannis, Boston - but am tempted by lots of other places, especially upstate New York.

We live practically on the Atlantic coast here in N Ireland, so a seaside holiday isn't essential, but we do want at least part of our trip to be restful, by the pool type thing. We've been to the Rockies and enjoy the mountains , opportunities for walking/ bike hire without being too sporty (hard with 2 small kids). I'm interested in history, politics, literature - husband is more scientifically minded, and the kids are obviously a bit young for too much sightseeing.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC to Boston 13 day road trip with 2 toddlers

When travelling with children, sometimes it seems that it's best not to have to pack & unpack too many times. We have also found that it's also better not to try to schedule too much in, since kids need a lot of "downtime." You probably have found this as well.

So although you've got 13 days to work with, you might consider sticking to just 2-3 main destinations (possibly with some day trips if you want to see more).

Just to give a sense of the scale, from Washington, DC to Boston is just over 400 miles, an 8-10 hour drive. New York is about halfway between. So if you are more into city life, you could certainly spend a few days apiece in DC, NY, and/or Boston and have a few spare days to visit one or two more rural areas. You noted the Shenandoah Valley, Lancaster, PA (in the "Dutch" country, though settled mainly by Swiss-German pietist groups), and Cape Cod -- and these are all great choices, beautiful in very distinct ways.

If you like mountains, lakes, and rivers, you might also think about the Delaware Water Gap and Poconos region of Pennsylvania, Adirondack Park in upstate New York, or the Berkshires of western Massachusetts.

You mentioned that going to the seaside isn't essential, but there are some great coastal towns in New England -- e.g. Newport, Rhode Island, Portland, Maine, as well as the offshore islands of Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.

Boston would be a great base for doing some exploring of the many small towns of New England (some with historic and literary interest), along with some scientific and kid-friendly attractions like the MIT & Harvard museums, Museum of Science, and New England Aquarium.

These are just initial suggestions to get you started, but I hope this helps.

Coleraine, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC to Boston 13 day road trip with 2 toddlers

Thanks for the advice - the choice of what to do is a bit overwhelming - I keep forgetting how big the US is in comparison to tiny N Ireland!

We're still putting our itinerary together, so I'm sure I'll be back for more advice soon.

3. Re: DC to Boston 13 day road trip with 2 toddlers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 02:20