We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first trip to the states

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
first trip to the states

Hi

my partner and I are planing our trip in April to the states. We are staying in NYC for 4 nights then we would like to hire a car and drive up North to the New England states .

My question is :

Is April still cold up North and do we need a 4WD?

What are the most scenic routes for this time of year as we are interested in Nature.

Cheers

Majeda

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first trip to the states

New England weather is variable, and April is a transition month, but in general the southern and coastal parts of the region are only a bit cooler than NYC. In April this means typical daytime temperatures in the range of 5-20 C, though it is certainly not uncommon for us to get the occasional snowstorm. Bring different layers of clothing and you should be fine.

I do not think you need 4-wheel drive unless you are really planning to hit the backcountry of northern New England, where April is "mud season."

In my opinion, the best route in April would be to stick to the coastline as this area has the mildest weather (earliest spring) and thus the highest probability of seeing trees and flowers in bloom. Follow the Interstate 95 / Route 1 corridor along the Connecticut coast and you will reach some cute towns like Stonington and Old Lyme. Further up the coast, Newport, Rhode Island, has some wonderful old mansions ("cottages") from the Gilded Age. Then perhaps either Boston or Cape Cod depending on your interests.

One variation would be to head straight east from New York City to the North Fork of Long Island, which has some nice little towns and wineries that offer tours. When you reach the end of the island at Orient Point, you can put the car on the ferry to New London, Connecticut.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first trip to the states

Thank you heaps Massachusetts member, this was the exact info that I neede....

Another thing is we are also thinking of Niagra Falls

Any pinpointers

Cheers

Majeda

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first trip to the states

Niagara Falls is about a 5-6 hour drive from Boston. Take the Mass Pike (I-90) to the New York State Thruway (also I-90). The Falls are best viewed from the Canadian side.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: first trip to the states

I think that you will find that Boston to Niagara Falls is closer to 8 hours, especially if you cross over to Canada. And that's not allowing for much stopping. You will also be backtracking as Niagara is in the other direction from NYC from the New England states. It would help if you told us what, if any, your other plans are and from where you are flying back home.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first trip to the states

we are flying from JFK on 25th of April but I think I am trying to jam too much in a short period so I will give NF a miss and just do MA, RI, CT,and NYC and Washington DC

6. Re: first trip to the states

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 12:38