We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Five days in New England

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
146 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Five days in New England

As first time visitors to this area (excluding Boston, which we've already visited), I'd welcome advice about how we could best use this very brief time, plus any info on hotels etc.

We'll have four nights/five days in late August/early September and will start out from the Berkshires on the Monday and need to be in Boston by late afternoon or early evening on the Friday.

Also, any advice on car rental to and from Boston Logan airport.

Thank you!

Ohio
Level Contributor
306 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Five days in New England

Hi Infomaniac,

If you only have 5 days in New England, I would be sure to include the White Mountains of New Hampshire (Mt. Washington, North Conway, etc.) and Newport Rhode Island. However, I don't understand your line of travel. Are you starting and ending in Boston? Is your plan to drive to the Bershires on your first day? There might be a more efficient route that would include the Berkshires, example Boston to Newport through Connecticut (Mystic Seaport, New London etc.) to the Berkshires through So. Vermont and on to the White Mountains and then back to Boston. I am not a local. I live in Ohio. Maybe some locals can give you more specific advice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Five days in New England

Some places that come to mind:

Old Sturbridge Village (from Sept 8-13, there's a world-famous open-air antique market in Brimfield)

Rockport/Gloucester/Salem (Cape Ann), MA

Woodstock/Quechee Gorge, Vermont

Lake Winnepesaukee (New Hampshire)

South coastal Maine

I would also seriously consider ditching the car for a couple days and take the ferry from Boston to Provincetown. You may encounter 2 night minimum stays over weekends, but during the week, rooms are usually available for single nights. You could also do this as a "day trip", and go directly to the airport afterward.

You've got some time to plan, so I suggest you do a little "Googling" and maybe supply some info: interests, ages, etc.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
146 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Five days in New England

Thanks so much for your replies and suggestions. Here's a little more info about our trip and about us.

We'll spend the first half of our visit with friends culminating in a weekend in the Berkshires. They will then leave us and our remaining five days are as yet unplanned, hence my original post.

We're interested in history, literature, art, music and scenery, and keen to see as much of New England as we can reasonably squeeze in. We love the coast/ocean/lakes etc. Oh, and we're not ancient but neither are we spring chickens!

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Five days in New England

From the Berkshires I would suggest you head north and explore southern Vermont and New Hampshire, lots of great scenery, covered bridges, easy or strenuous hikes, artisan shops, orchards, craft fairs, nice places to stay and good restaurants especially around Keene NH or farther north in Hanover NH or Norwich Vermont. From there you can wander across the White Mountains, into Maine and come back down the coast, lots of quaint towns and harbors. If your return flight time allows you might want to stay in Newburyport on your last night. It's about 30 miles north of Boston.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
146 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Five days in New England

Your suggestions are very much the sort of things we'd enjoy; very many thanks newenglandweaver. I'll do some further investigation.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

6. Re: Five days in New England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 09:23