We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston and New England advice

seattle
Level Contributor
38 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Boston and New England advice

We are two 55plus folks planning a two week trip to Boston and New England to visit family. We fly in to Boston in mid October and fly out of Boston early November. Our family is in Bristol Vermont and Falmouth Maine and we intend to spend about three days in each of those spots.

We are spending the last three days in Boston before flying out so my questions revolve around routes, other stops, and timing for Vermont and Maine.

We would love to see fall color but understand that we may be late for that and would rather see small towns, local arts and culture than compete for a view of leaves with thousands of others in their cars.

ALso - we loved spending time in Boston in the Back Bay area but the hotels are SO Expensive! Is there somewhere else in town that would provide good walking areas, museums, local arts etc. at a more reasonable rate?

Thanks for any ideas you may provide!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston and New England advice

You can easily drive from Bristol to Falmouth in one day if you want but you might want to stop along the way. You might want to take the time to stop at the Ben and Jerry's factory (although it's not as exciting as I had hoped) or certainly St. Johnsbury (which would be a fun place to spend the night, I think), which has a wonderful old, small museum of Natural History.

You don't need to worry about competing with thousands of others in their cars for a view of leaves. At the right time of year (you are correct in that you may be little late) it's beautiful everywhere. Are there hordes of people in Seattle competing to see the sky on a nice day? The issue is more one of competition for hotel rooms. Better book now. I always recommend that people stop at Bretton Woods between Vermont and Maine, but if you can't find a hotel room, just drive from your relatives in Bristol to your relatives in Falmouth.

Hotels in nice sections of Boston are expensive for a reason. If there were a public option, a government-run hotel in a good walking area, museums, local arts etc., then private hotels might be forced to lower their rates, but that's just not the way our hotel system works in Massachusetts. You might consider staying in the suburbs (this is a frequently asked question) but basically if you want the full Boston experience once in your life you're probably going to have to splurge.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston and New England advice

For hotels in Boston try using priceline or hotwire. Use betterbidding.com to help with the bidding. I stayed at the Hyatt Regency for just over $60 a night back on Memorial Day weekend. So there are some good deals to be had.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston and New England advice

There is one B & B in the Back Bay area -- not sure about the price, but it might be a little cheaper. It's called the Newbury Guest House, I believe. Also there are some "smaller" hotels in or at the edge of Back Bay, that might be lower. One is called the Copley Square Hotel (not the Copley Plaza which is the famous one). Another is the Colonnade, and also the Lenox. Again, no idea about the rates, but these are not part of the giant chains, as far as I know.

4. Re: Boston and New England advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2010, 13:16