We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing on the way from PA to MA

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
46 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sightseeing on the way from PA to MA

I'll be coming from South/Central PA and am staying in Quincy. Are there any attractions worth seeing either on my way up or my way back?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing on the way from PA to MA

Not really. There's really nothing of note west of Worcester until you get to Japan, imho.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing on the way from PA to MA

Huh? Well, are you coming to Boston/Quincy via the Massachusetts Turnpike? There are a number of good side trips, especially in the Berkshire mountains (the far western side of Massachusetts). This area has many lovely and arty towns -- there is a lot going on in summer. North Adams is becoming an attraction because it now has an enormous modern art museum called Masss MoCA.Some other towns you might want to check on include: Lenox, Northampton, Sturbridge. Concord and Lexington are northwest of Boston and are well worth a visit.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing on the way from PA to MA

Need your route and to know whether you are looking to stop for coffee or overnight?

And Thomas, really? You probably meant west of Framingham!!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,513 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing on the way from PA to MA

Well, I assume you know that you will be traveling by New York City and most of Connecticut, although the answers here have been focused on Massachusetts, although Thomas may include areas south of here as well.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing on the way from PA to MA

I believe Worcester traditionally marks the limit of civilization for Bostonians (I used to think, many many years ago that it was so referenced in "The Late Georgy Apley" but it seems to me that the last time I read the book, about 30 years ago, that there was no mention of Worcester at all). Honestly, Dedham is probably the limit of the civilized world, but I've always thought "west of Worcester" rolled better off the tongue.

6. Re: Sightseeing on the way from PA to MA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2010, 05:19