We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - Boston and Cape Cod 27th August to 8th Sept

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
571 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - Boston and Cape Cod 27th August to 8th Sept

Hope this is useful to someone - and many thanks to you all for the advice given in planning our trip ! Invaluable as always !

I haven't time to post on all the separate forums, so hope you will forgive this coverall !

Started off in New York for a Friend's wedding - unfortunately Hurricane Danny was an uninvited guest and the weather was awful !! #

Frick gallery - wonderful , and the new gardens on the tram line in the Meat packing district .

Algonquin hotel - lots of character , aand loved the house cat ,, Matilda - but hated the very noisy air conditioning !

Rockefeller plaza is a lovely venue for a wedding !

Drinks at the revolving bar on the 48th floor of Mariott hotel in TIme square - great fun!

Then by train from Penn station to Boston , 4 1/2 hours , but quite nice to sit still !

Boston - stayed Copley Square hotel - great - really helpful staff, and We loved their " wine down hour " - wine tasting for guests from 5 to 6 pm daily - free!

Meals - Joes - not good - and a mouse ran up the wall beside me !!

Atlantic fish company ( Boyston ave I think ) - Great !!

Legal sea foods in Copley shopping mall - Ok , nothing special .

Lovely city to walk around - We did the freedom trail , sat in the lovely parks and common , and Walked out to Harvard along the Charles river ( yes , We are mad ! Love walking ! 1 1/2 hours approx ) Lunch at the Grafton in Cambridge - Ok

Isabella stuart gardner museum- loved it ! especially the magic courtyard garden .

Husband preferred the Museum of fine arts.

Hired a car at Avis, very close to Copley plaza , easy drive to cape cod .

Stopped at Sandwich ) a wee bit Tweee for me , dreadful lunch at Pauls on the crossroads - and they have no restrooms !

Heritage gardens and car museum - pleasant , garden may be better earlier in Year , cars really interesting and loved the antique carousel .

Chatham - stayed Bradford inn - good central location , really close to shops and restaurants , mediocre breakfast , nice room .

We were surprised how " strung out" the towns were - some places were quite far out, and parking is a nightmare - and expensive .

My top tip would be to stay somewhere central , then abandon your car and bike or walk !

In chatham We ate at the Squire inn - great fish and good atmosphere

iMPUdent Oyster - lovely ( expensive )

Had a drink at the Chatham Bars inn , and Wequasset resort - OK , expensive - but worth it ! Especially the stunning location at the latter .

Lovely beach at the lighthouse, and managed to get 3 hours at Nauset beach - which was closed the next day to swimmers as 3 great whites were sighted ! THe Jaws soundtrack was playing in my head for most of our trip !!

Day trip to Provincetown _ Interesting ! not for the easily shocked !

Trip to Nantucket from Harwich , 80 minutes - free parking for the day ! hired bikes and cycled to Madaket beach - gorgeous ! Nantucket town has some lovely shops etc

THen to Falmouth - stayed at the lovely Inn on the Sound - what charming hosts - and Jan is a mine of local info on what to do and where to avoid !!great breakfasts too !

Day trip to Marthas Vineyard - Island Queen is just a 10 minute walk from Inn - but town is a good mile

Got a day trip bus ticket for 7 dollars .

Oak bluffs - cute ginger bread houses, see the old carousel - if only to see the competitive Daddies trying to out do eachother and claim the brass ring !

Edgarstown- lovely place - lunch at the Harbour view resort , overlooking the lighthouse - lovely !

Edgarstown has good crafty shops etc

Vineyard haven - maybe not quite as nice as Edgarstown, but worth a visit too .

Last day - got bikes at Holiday cycles close to Inn on the sound , and went up the shing sea bike path - definitely most scenic along the beach to Woodshole,Lunch at the Pie in the sky = nice fresh salads and great baking - but no restrooms again !

Back to Boston and Home for a rest !!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - Boston and Cape Cod 27th August to 8th Sept

Nice, succint report. The mouse sighting turns my stomach (as I am sure it did yours).

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
571 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - Boston and Cape Cod 27th August to 8th Sept

Thanks !

Forgot to mention where We ate in Falmouth -

QuarterDeck in Main street - great fish - you can't book , so may have a wait- but worth it!

Osteria la civetta- also main street - good Italian , nice atmosphere.

Happy travelling !

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - Boston and Cape Cod 27th August to 8th Sept

Wow sounds like you were truly able to get quite a bit in during your stay and also hit some nice spots as well

I am not sure but myae others can chime in here........I believe that here in MA restaurants that have seats/service must have public restrooms other than that I am not sure if it is mandatory. If I am correct ...myabe it might help you on your next trip!!

Just wondering about this restaurant for future reference here.......

"Stopped at Sandwich ) a wee bit Tweee for me , dreadful lunch at Pauls on the crossroads - and they have no restrooms ! "

Where was it - do you rememember? And not sure what the reference to Tweee was??

Glad you enjoyed yourselves here!! And also .....I love it when people take a bit of their time to do a post-trip report...... so thank you is is also appreciated!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - Boston and Cape Cod 27th August to 8th Sept

Hi, thanks so much for your TR, you packed a lot in. Katiebee - "twee" means over-the-top cute/quaint

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - Boston and Cape Cod 27th August to 8th Sept

As far as I know, there is no law requiring public restrooms, whether there are seats or not.

6. Re: Trip report - Boston and Cape Cod 27th August to 8th Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 15:16
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - Boston and Cape Cod 27th August to 8th Sept

Thanks Kendrick - It is a new one for me too!!

Spending lots of time in Ireland over the last forty years I thought I had heard them all but I guess not!!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - Boston and Cape Cod 27th August to 8th Sept

Sounds like you had a great trip. Hope you can visit again!

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
571 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report - Boston and Cape Cod 27th August to 8th Sept

Maybe there is some difference with self service restaurants - both the ones that We visited that had no restrooms were self service.

Pauls in Sandwich was at the cross roads with the highway 6 I think - opposite an antique shop - my husbands ham sandwich was 90% mustard !

I also forgot to say that We found Kim grants guidebook to Cape cod and the Islands invaluable !

Thanks to those that recommended it to us - I think it was yellow bird or fussyguest !

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,133 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report - Boston and Cape Cod 27th August to 8th Sept

Boy that restaurant would be sorry if I was dining there --- a mouse? I'm sure I would let out an involuntary (really) loud scream. That is so gross that I'd almost like to screem right now.

Katiebee that law about the bathrooms hasn't reached Falmouth yet. We ate at the Clam Shack and they made us use the latrines called porta potties. That was horrible.

So Sessiagh, I'm sure glad that you enjoyed Inn on the Sound and the book.

Thanks for the nice report.