We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
New England

We are travelling to New England in August and would like some ideas of where to go. We will be starting and finishing in Boston, hiring a car in-between. Would like to see some of the pretty coastal towns, maybe catch a ferry, do some whale watching and ? Would also like to see some more rural towns, perhaps some of those wooden bridges we hear about. Have looked on a map, still unsure of the best way to go, but would probably like to do a few areas well rather than racing around and seeing little. We'll have 3 days in Boston and then 7 days driving around, do you think this is enough time?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England

Hi, you have a lot of choices. You could head south to Cape Cod for a few days and see beautiful coastal towns and do a whale watch. It is about 1 and a half hour's drive from Boston. You could also head north to the smaller Cape Ann and the towns of Gloucester & Rockport . You can get a whale watch out of Gloucester. These towns are about an hour to an hour and a half drive north of Boston. You could spend a few days there and then head toward Vermont where you will find the covered bridges. Here is a map where they are located

www.vtliving.com/coveredbridges/index.shtml from VT, you could come south again into the Berkshires in Western Massachusetts and then take Rt. 90, the Massachusetts Turnpike, directly back to the airport in Boston. Just so you know, you do not need a car in the city, you can rent one when you are ready to travel.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England

Kendrick makes great suggestions. Do spend a little time looking at other posts on this board, because the topic of doing a loop through New England (using Boston as a base) comes up a lot. So you can pick up on all those suggestions and see if anything strikes your fancy. I like your approach to not go to too many places. But I think you can easily group the things you have mentioned in a couple of destinations outside Boston. Cape Cod has so much appeal, including very very pretty towns and history, and beaches galore and the colonial architecture. (My favorite towns on Cape Cod are Provincetown -- great for whale watching-- and Chatham.) I think Vermont is a great suggestion -- it's just beautiful, both the landscape and most of the towns. From Boston, it's only about 2 or 3 hours to hit the Vermont border, so it is not a terrible long way. By the way, there are also whale watch cruises that leave from Boston. I believe that all of the Massachusetts whale watch boats, no matter what company runs them, all head to the same general location off the tip of Cape Cod, which is famous for abundant whale watching -- so all of the trips are good (this is a fun thing to do).

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England

Boston to Rockport/Gloucester, cut across to 95 north to Portsmouth NH. leisurely drive along NH and Maine Coast to Portland- cut across to Mount Washington Valley- highest mountain east of the Rockies and a totally great place for sightseeing, food, hiking, etc. and back down to Boston.

Portland is only 2 hours from Boston but you could take a day getting there or spend a couple of days in any of the small coastal towns like York, Wells, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, etc. It doesn't make sense to go North and South of Boston and expect to spend quality time anyplace.

So, either the Cape and maybe Newport,RI and a visit to Martha's Vineyard or head north.

BTW, New Hampshire in August (or Vt) are great to visit. Usually warm dry days with cool crisp nights and if you get lucky incredible views of the milky way. Will make you dizzy looking up

Edited: 29 January 2010, 01:01
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New England

Thanks for this, you're very helpful. Another question, while in the U.S. we would like to go to a baseball game in Boston. We've never been to game before, is it best to buy the tickets in advance or can we wait till we're in Boston and buy them that day or the day before? Also is there a particular section of the ground we should try and get tickets for?We'll be there from the 31st August to the 3rd July so there are a couple of games we could go to.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New England

Hi, Maureen - Red Sox tickets are hard to come by, if there are tickets on the Red Sox site, you should get them now. There are all sorts of price options - Just don't buy obstructed view! We like bleacher seats, they are the least expensive and you can see everything. They can get rowdy at times. If the games are sold out on the official site, check secondary ticket sites such as stubhub.com .

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,239 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New England

Boston Red Sox tickets are very difficult to get. There are some going on sale tomorrow. Check the Boston forum for more details. If you don't get any tomorrow, you may need to go through a ticket broker such as Ace or Stub Hub and expect to pay a premium above the face value of the ticket.

If you plan to head north, there is a Red Sox minor league team in Portland Maine called the "Portland Seadogs". Tickets are easier to get, and there's more "entertainment" between innings.

And, since you'll have a car, slightly north west of Boston is the city of Lowell. Lowell has a rich history of the textile history. It's considered a National Park. Also, in Lowell you have the Lowell Spinners, another minor-league Red Sox affiliate ("more minor" than the SeaDogs). You can get very inexpensive tickets there and it would be a day trip ... see the historical sites and wrap up w/ a ball game. They also have something they call the "gator pit", an area under the stands where you can enjoy an all-you-can eat buffet of burgers, steak tips, ribs, salads, soft drinks, etc ... you buy the meal in combination with a game ticket ... eat before the game and then see the game.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,239 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New England

Kendrick ... I didn't see your response before I answered, sorry to be so repetitive.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New England

Minor league baseball is GREAT. There is also a team in Lowell, Massachusetts but you might not want to deal with traveling there (a little over an hour from Boston). Another option to see the Red Sox -- I know some people will scream when I saw this, but it is an option -- is to go to the Fenway Park/Kenmore Square area about 2 hours before a game. There will be many many people offering to sell you tickets to that night's game. We call these people "scalpers" because the price can be really high. And once in a while, the tickets are counterfeit. But I really think most of the tickets are legitimate, and you just want to make sure you buy two seats that are together. This will not be cheap. The price drops after the game starts, a little bit. So that's an option, if you want to keep your options open. But Stub Hub, or Ace Tickets, or similar agencies, I think will guarantee the tickets, so that might be safest.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New England

I hope I am not posting twice. Its been a month since your post, but I came across it today. We did a similar trip 3 years ago(one more day day) and it was our first to New England. We took a slightly differnt route than has been suggested to you. We did 4 nights in Boston (3 full days) - for your first day, do the on-off trolly. You can do whale watching tours , there is a very nice park, and of course lots of colonial history. If yo aren't wild about cities, you could take a day from there.

Then we drove up to the White Mountains in New Hampshire, stopping by Lexington-Concord,and "the Flume" at Fraconia Notch. We stayed at a place called Loon Mountain - there is a resort there- for one night. We took most of a long scenic drive on a loop called Kalimingus Hwy or something like that (had to shorten the route a bit but had plenty of mountain) with several "ooh and ahh" stops and drove back down to Portsmouth N.H. for another overnight. We were there just before high leaf season, and still sow plenty of color - but that is very weatehr dependent. If I added another day in that area it would have been in the area of Lake Winnipsaukee - but we were running out of daylight and didn't even stop to look.

Next day we drove up the coast to Camden Maine - its mid coast Maine, and there are lots of other little towns between Portsmoth (or Portland ME) and whereever you could pick. We spent 3 nights there (two full days) - Camden was , I think, the right size for a mid coast stay. We did one day as a day trip north of there. Not sure I would have really wanted to stay too much further north given our timeframe. When we left, we drove down to Portland ME, overnighted there, and then drove back to Boston by way of Salem (very touristy - but what the heck --- got to see the witches) for our final overnight at an airport hotel.

Those drives were very doable, even with lots of stops.

10. Re: New England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 06:16